• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kenwood 11G

Punker X

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Subscriber
Went over to local guys house that bought my Sansui 5000. He gives me tour of several of his systems. Here sits this monster of a Receiver. This thing was huge. Built in timer, graphic eq... just fine peice all around. Wish I had my camera because I know there is a large following here of monster receivers. This has to be one of the biggest.

So if anyone has one of these mosters around post some pics of it. I'm sure they would be well appreciated.

X
 
Register to hide this ad
I dont know much about the model 11 aside from that Timer can be a real pain in the butt. I think BF or bully know more about em and I am sure others with more know on them will chime in.

Grumpy
 
I dunno much about the "Model Elevens". There was a series of models bearing that appellation. They all seem to bear the stamp of a TOTL model. The original?? Model Eleven (AKA '11') was a 60 wpc receiver. The Eleven II stepped that up to 80-85, and a Model Eleven III was in the 120 wpc class. They all seem to have been "loaded" models, lots of bells and whistles.
It is entirely possible they were not models intended for sale in the USA.
I do remember hearing a Model 11 (no idea other than that) that a friend picked up during his service time (USN) from a PX somewhere in the world.
Like with cars, it seems a lot of the best stuff doesn't make it over here regularly ... I remember one of the guys when we were at AU scored a model 11, and he (IIRC) decided he wanted to get an Eleven III (bigger).
Like, I want that Holden SS sedan with the 350 Corvette and a 6-speed :D I'll learn to shift with the left hand ... :p: :cool:
I *really* do need a car that can do 150+ on the mile to work :eek:

pete
 
We've talked about the Model 11's before I think. I'm biased, I like them.

I have a Model 11G, and a Model 11 Kenwood. Both are real nice examples.

My undestanding is that the 11 models were primarly sold through US miliitary PX's, during the 70's.

I got the 11 from the original owner, and it had never been opened, and it only needed one AM indicator light. I cleaned it up, cleaned the controls, and it works great. Wood case is excellent.

The 11 was the first of the 11 models. Later came Model 11's - II, III, G. There may be other Model 11's, not sure.

The timer works fine on both of mine. You can set timer for up to two hours, and the unit will shut off at time set.

The 11 as mentioned is 60 wpc. Has excellent tuner. Has lots of features, dolby for recording. Dimmer switch for dial. (tuning dial looks alot like the KR9600) Has 4 meters. Just a nice overall receiver. It is larger than most other receivers. (wider)
Mine has wood case. Actually, most all Model 11's I've seen have wood cases.

The 11G is a big daddy behemoth, large, heavy, and powerful. Probably a like a KR-9600, or Marantz 2325. 120 watts per channel. Has superior tuner section.
And it's really neat when when lit up. Has cool dial, lighting. One of the neatest I've seen.

The 11G is in the same class of a 9090DB Sansui. Maybe was made for that purpose??
My 11G works just as good. (I have a 9090DB to compare)

The 11G is a keeper. (and a sleeper)
If you have a chance to get one, they're an excellent buy. Probably can get one for half the cost of a 2325 Marantz, and cheaper than a 9600, or 9090DB too.
 
Wow, Shain has soft spot for something other than Marantz:D

Funning you should mention the 9090DB, that was also this guys other system. Said he actually perfered the sound of the Sansui over the big 11G. But it has a definate cool factor to it. It is biggest receiver I have ever seen in person.

X
 
When it comes right down to it, I like about all of them. (70's vintage brands) Love the high horse power stuff!!

I just "deal" in ....specialize in Marantz.

I just got the 9090DB back from Bob at Vint. Elec. He went completely through it. Had a problem in protection circuits. (someone else had tried to fix it appearantly, and screwed it up)
He aligned tuner, set voltages, fixed it up! etc, etc.

It was dead when I got it, but was still in Sansui original box. Much too nice to not get fixed up. Will be the Sansui that I keep.

Will try to take a couple of pixs tonight, of the Kenwoods, and Sansui, if I have time.
 
Shain

That is one seriously beautiful receiver !

Grumpy
 
It really is as clean as it looks, not a scratch on face or knobs. Wood case is about perfect too!

Works as good as it looks too!

This is part of that stuff I got awhile back from the widow of the guy that bought it all new. (Kenwwod speakers, Teac RtR, Technics TT, and a Sony CD player added.

Got about 150 LP's too. All of it nice.
 
Last edited:
Should have but a beer can in front of it for perspective. That looks just about like the G I saw the other day. Huge..

X
 
I'd have to borrow a beer can from Thor, I don't touch the stuff.

.... well, not much anyway.

:beerchug: :beerchug:

Didn't I hear that a glass a day keeps the doctor away? Or was it a keg???


The pix is of a Model 11. The Model 11 "G" is a bit different. It's all wrapped up and put away in storage right now, so didn't take pix of the G
 
Great quality pic Shane, I like.. I see a lot of Kenwood traits from my KR-9600.

What kind/brand of camera are you using? I should be in the market for a digital camera this Christmas and looking for cost effective recommendations. Like to keep it under $300 range.

Lefty
 
The Model 11 is gone ! Listed it on ebay, and a Sansui 4 channel amp, they both sold the same day as listed.

Kind of will hate to see it go, but have got to lower the inventory!
Stuff has been selling a little slow, but have sold maybe 10 units in the last couple of weeks.

Sold two 2270's this week, one on ebay, and another outright to a guy that also looked at the 2270 auction.

The camera is a Sony MVC FD-88. I've had it a couple of years, paid about $700 for it then, but it's probably becoming obsolete by now.
It uses regular 3" floppy discs, which I really like. Just put the floppy in computer and go to work.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom