• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

kenwood eleven iii rectifier replacement

Thespeakerdude8

Super Member
I've got a weird one on the bench...an eleven iii with a blown bridge rectifier. Outputs are all good, just has a shorted rectifier. I plan to recap and check the power supply to find out what caused it in the first place. My problem is I'm having trouble finding a suitable replacement bridge rectifier. The original part # is M4C-5, 200v 3A rectifier with a square deep finned heat sink integral to the part. I can find plenty of way better spec bridges, but nothing with a built-in heat sink , only metal case parts designed for chassis mount. I suppose I could mount a new bridge to the chassis and run wires accordingly , but I prefer not to if I don't need to. Is the heat sink necessary? Does this part really get warm in normal operation, or is it just an old inefficient part?
 
Register to hide this ad
15, 20, and 30A+ bridges are so common nowadays that I'd have trouble imagining that they'd have a problem running something like a 120WPC receiver without a heatsink. But there are lots of different heatsinks out there.

There are some bridges available with bendable leads that can be cranked around to fit a number of different configurations. Something like this:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/MB3510W-BP/MB3510W-BPMS-ND/773597

You can even pop a little heatsink on top: http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?KeyWords=345-1075-ND&WT.z_header=search_go
 
Thanks EW, that's the info I was looking for. :thmbsp:
I was under the same thinking about using a high current bridge but wanted to be sure I wasn't crazy.
 
Radio shack has a 400v 8amp bridge with bendable leads, would be nice if I could make that work today instead of ordering a part...
 
Remember that RS buys the cheapest crap they can find and sells for the highest markup that they can justify. They've been known to buy mfgr's rejects with minimal functionality in order to maximize their profits.

I'd strongly recommend placing an order (you can specify USPS for cheap delivery).

Might help to provide some dimensions of the original to try and choose a bridge that will fit as reasonably close as possible. Also, I'm pretty sure that this receiver has two bridges...if I'm right, replace them both.
 
Hi, I know this is an old post, but i couldn't find any information about it. Can anyone recommend a replacement for the M4C-5 bridge rectifier for a Kenwood eleven III. The one they recommend here is no longer available. Thanks.
 
Back
Top Bottom