• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kenwood KA-701 bias value can't be adjusted correctly

GytisB

Member
Hey! I was working on my Kenwood KA-701 recently, which had burned/dead output transistors. The unit is now fully recapped, has all new output transistors and a few other (list of transistors below). DC-offset was pretty easy to set up and is now idling between 0mV and 1mV on both channels. Although lowest bias I can get is between 36mV and 40mV (manual states that it should be 26mV). I found that some of AKers used resistors with higher impedance? but not sure where and which to change. Or maybe something else should be done here?

List of transistors I changed:
Q13, Q14 - 2SC2525 -> Sanken 2SC2922 (output transistor)
Q15, Q16 - 2SA1075 -> Sanken 2SA1216 (output transistor)
Q9, Q10 - 2SC1913 -> MJE15032G (these got damaged when outputs died)
Q11, Q12 - 2SA913 -> MJE15033G (these got damaged when outputs died)
Q1,2 (2SC1845), 3,4 (2SC945), 5 (2SA1023), 7,8 (2SA733A) (not changed, since they work fine?)



Service manual if needed.
http://akdatabase.com/AKview/albums/userpics/10004/Kenwood KA-701 Service Manual.pdf

Other than having higher bias, unit works fine and sound fine in my opinion.
 

Attachments

  • bias.PNG
    bias.PNG
    547.4 KB · Views: 23
Register to hide this ad
Having a slightly higher bias current should not negatively affect the sound quality, but can present heating problems. In any case, the lack of adjustability should be resolved so that if anything changes, adjustment will be possible.

If you are certain the bias adjustment potentiometers are clean and intact, I would suggest changing R5 and R6 on the power amp board to 100Ω ½ W. That may provide additional adjustment range and should not sacrifice any lower-end adjustability, although it could make the adjustment more sensitive.
 
Good point - I guess that perhaps we shouldn't assume that the diodes and connections have already been checked out.
 
Having a slightly higher bias current should not negatively affect the sound quality, but can present heating problems. In any case, the lack of adjustability should be resolved so that if anything changes, adjustment will be possible.

If you are certain the bias adjustment potentiometers are clean and intact, I would suggest changing R5 and R6 on the power amp board to 100Ω ½ W. That may provide additional adjustment range and should not sacrifice any lower-end adjustability, although it could make the adjustment more sensitive.

I think I have new pots for bias, will try to look for them.

G'day;
Here's an a.k. link... follow @dr*audio testing per the circuit.
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ka-701-bias-adjustment-problem.360749/

Be aware I don't know if the transistor substitutions are the equivalents.but the bias circuit is simple.

Thank you! Very good thread,and for some reason I believe that diodes mentioned in that thread can be the problem in my unit too.
 
---Update---
I finally did it. It took time, but now I get the correct readings. It turned out that the STV-4H diodes are fine and not the issue in this amp. I started going through the thread mentioned above, following @dr*audio suggestions, and got a impression that diodes need replacing. But I was wrong. I made the diodes as suggested in one of the threads here on AK, and it turned out great (will post pictures and readings below). Somehow the DIY diodes were giving even higher mv readings. Placed back the original diodes and continued with the testing. What I did wrong, was that I tested the pots some what incorrect. Taking them out and doing resistance check, it showed 120 ohms, while it should be 100 ohms (this is what manual says). So they were either dirty or bad. Since I had new 33 ohm resistors that were needed in R5 and R6 place, I swapped them too. I ended up with a correct mv reading on the right channel, but still had bias creeping up on the left. I then started swapping some of the resistors near the bias pot, and found one of the resistors being 20 ohms, instead of 27 ohms, on the left channel. Rechecking bias, still nothing. Got maybe 1-2 mv down, but it was still 10mv above the reading I needed. I was losing hope at that moment, since most parts around the bias pot were new. Then I thought that it would be good to check D7 and D8, the 1S2076 diodes. And here, this is where the problem was. The good diode showed 0.6v and a bad diode was showing 0.15v. I swapped them with a 1n4148 diodes, and boom! It is now more or less rock stable at 26mv on both sides. I get some small changes, like "25.8" or "26.2", from time to time, but it is almost all the time showing 26.0mv. This is after running amp for 10 minutes or more. DC-offset is almost at 0.0mv, but likes to jump up a bit here and there, so I would say +-0-1mv is where it stays. New pots are needed, but since I don't have them in stock, I need to order them. All in all, I'm happy it's finally done. Took me some, but I learned something new.

STV-4H diode replacement part DIY guide/how I did it.
I followed this thread https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/replacing-the-stv-3h-and-4h-diodes.279530/ and found out that 4 of the UF1004 diodes in series, is more or less ideal for the substitution. Since not that many showed step by step guide on how to make one, I made some photos under making, so that someone can use it as some sort of a guide.

I started by finding some "speaker terminal" type connectors.
1.JPG

Then I drilled a bigger hole, so that the mounting screw goes through it without problems. Removed the red plastic thing and hammered it flat.
2.JPG

Glued diodes together closely, just to make soldering easier (this part can be skipped if you want to save time).
3.JPG 3.JPG

Soldered them in series as this.
5.JPG 6.JPG

Attached some long wires, so that I don't need to worry about them being short or something. I used some thing wires extracted from CAT5E cable.
7.JPG

And this is how I planned having it (an illustration how it looks before glue comes on top).
8.JPG

After gluing it together, it looks something like this. I used "steel epoxy" from Biltema (scandinavian shop), which is an equivalent of a JB Cold Weld I believe. It has better heat resistance than the normal epoxy glue.
9.JPG 10.JPG

Works fine, but is a bit bigger that the original STV-4H diodes. Not by much, though. In the kenwood amp, they fit just as nice as the originals.

Results: it shows stable 1.9-1.915v. Original STV-4H diodes show 1.95v (at least the ones I have). Not sure why, but I was seeing higher BIAS mv readings with these than the originals. So I will just be keeping these as "spare parts". Maybe 4 of UF1004, in Kenwood is not the right substitution. Or my way of making diode is bad. Anyway, you don't need to follow the way I did it. Just posting it, so some of us, who are a bit more "green" in electronics, can get a better idea on how to make it (get some ideas too, maybe?).
 

Attachments

  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 22
That looks like a good assembly. I hope that the epoxy is non-conductive, since some of the compounds contain metallic filler.
 
That looks like a good assembly. I hope that the epoxy is non-conductive, since some of the compounds contain metallic filler.

I believe it’s not. I tried checking it for shorts/beeping with DMM. And since it tries to replicate the JB Cold Weld, it should be more or less the same (components inside the epoxy glue), which is as I understand, non-conductive, because many people use it for this job.
 
Problems are chasing me again. I got 2 extra 100ohm pots, and thought that I would change the DC Offset pots, since they were really touchy. Swapping them out, didn't really help that much. DC Offset after adjustment was idling at 0.0mV, while it would go up and down between -2.0mV and +2.0mV, when monitoring for a longer period of time. I didn't really like the way it was going up here and there, but thought that I will live with it. Next turn on, and there is smoke coming from Control PCB (the one with DC offset pots). Opening it up, I see burning marks at 2SA899 transistors and 2SC1904 (B,V variants). Checking for short, they don't seem to be shorted yet. I see EchoWars is recommending KSA1142 and KSC2682 for the replacement parts. Would I just go for these or get something else? I think I need to get a few of these extra, in case they burn again. Or should I check something beforehand?
 

Attachments

  • BF00129A-DE49-43F4-91B2-1749CF0D4B8D.jpeg
    BF00129A-DE49-43F4-91B2-1749CF0D4B8D.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 28
  • C0479BDE-2FE4-439C-BB0A-E5DF9AA08DD1.jpeg
    C0479BDE-2FE4-439C-BB0A-E5DF9AA08DD1.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 25
  • C6B0AADE-6AA0-4AC1-BE9B-16F5A8749123.jpeg
    C6B0AADE-6AA0-4AC1-BE9B-16F5A8749123.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 81C9A523-9CB5-4E9F-B841-7E04462A08D2.jpeg
    81C9A523-9CB5-4E9F-B841-7E04462A08D2.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 21
Back
Top Bottom