• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kenwood KA-7100

How does the KA-5500 compare to these amps? Just one transformer, but a biggie for the amp's size. A friend has one he's wanting to get rid of, hopefully by sending it my way. It needs a volume knob if anyone can help in that department. He also has the matching tuner but I neglected to get the model.
Thanks!
-Ed
 
Start a new thread and I'l tell you all you ever wanted to know about the KA-5500 (and then some). ;)
 
EchoWars said:
(The KA-7300 has pre-out/main-in jacks, and is also a fine unit, but uses a Darlington power module for output ala the KA-9100, as opposed to the discrete stages in the 7100.)

It sounds like you are implying the Darlington power module is LESS desirable than the 7100's stages. Am I reading that right?

Issue: "Darlington power module"

Discuss!

(by "Discuss" I mean "Explain!")
 
Only less desirable because it could be a problem to replace if one was needed. Other than that, I have no problems with Darlington power modules.

The module itself is a large integrated circuit (perhaps 3 1/2" by 4 1/2") containing a fair share of the functions of an output stage, typically the bias generator, pre-drivers, drivers, and output transistors, and perhaps a V/I limiter for protection. I looked quickly for a pic on Google, but my 30 second search didn't come up with anything.

The discrete stages are simply more desirable for ease of repair...no real sonic advantages to discrete IHMO if the modules are properly implemented.
 
Back
Top Bottom