• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kenwood KA-801 Phono Preamp Capacitive load: Please help me understand schematic

Stack

Active Member
Hi,

I'm trying to determine the capacitive load for my Kenwood KA-801 preamp section (to see if I need to buy a preamp or modify the circuit to handle an AT-VM540ML cart), and I'm honestly in a bit over my head. I have the schematic of the preamp section but I'm not sure which caps would actually be contributing to the load, or how to calculate it.

Can somebody please help me understand what I'm looking for? I've attached an image of the left channel preamp section for reference.

VwuvnkG.png


Thanks for any help!
 
Register to hide this ad
This is simply a guess, I'm pretty sure there are more qualified people here..
100pF from C51
 
This is simply a guess, I'm pretty sure there are more qualified people here..
100pF from C51

Is it just the capacitance on the input voltage itself, before the transistors, that matters? Does anything inside the transistor array make a difference, like C37 for example? Or C47 at the end of the circuit? If not I was way overthinking this.

100pf would be ideal. That, combined with my turntable would put my setup in spec for the cartridge.

I was worried because I've read that allot of older SS amps had higher capacitive loads that don't jive with some modern carts, and the VT540ML has 100-200pf specified as the ideal range (with most people agreeing that exceeding that by 25-50pf is acceptable.)
 
The only other thing I see would be the input capacitance of Q41 (including miller capacitance). I suspect that the Cmiller of a cascode is pretty small but somebody smarter than me would have to chime in on that.
 
I don't think so but I really don't know for sure. I'm thinking maybe the capacitance of Q41 could be a factor but again I'm not sure.
 
Back
Top Bottom