• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kenwood KA-9100 - phono input(s) for MC or MM?

Peter K0801

New Member
Hello,
I'm searching since a few days but I find no answer: The KA-9100 has two phono inputs. A friend told me one is for a MM the other for a MC cartridge. Sadly I find nothing in the manual or somewhere else. Is this true? Or are both inputs for MM (or MC)?
Thanks a lot for any help.
Peter
 
Register to hide this ad
MM or HOMC only


Specifications
Power output: 90 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Frequency response: 7Hz to 50kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.03%

Damping factor: 50

Input sensitivity: 2.5mV (MM), 150mV (line)

Signal to noise ratio: 83dB (MM), 100dB (line)

Output: 1V (Pre out)

Speaker load impedance: 4Ω to 16Ω

Dimensions: 430 x 149 x 384mm

Weight: 16.7kg

Year: 1977
 
If that is an ortofon MC-20, you need more than an MC input, generally.

The MC-20 is a Very LOMC with an output of 0.07mV which is 70µV. Most LOMC are in the range or 200-800µV or 0.2-0.8mV. Other versions of the MC-20 from ortofon, the II, super, and anniversary have different outputs.

Some units with MC inputs have sensitivities of 100µV and will work with the MC20 as will SUT with about 35dB gain. Normal SUT gain is 10-20dB, leaving you twisting the volume knob further.
 
If that is an ortofon MC-20, you need more than an MC input, generally.

The MC-20 is a Very LOMC with an output of 0.07mV which is 70µV. Most LOMC are in the range or 200-800µV or 0.2-0.8mV. Other versions of the MC-20 from ortofon, the II, super, and anniversary have different outputs.

Some units with MC inputs have sensitivities of 100µV and will work with the MC20 as will SUT with about 35dB gain. Normal SUT gain is 10-20dB, leaving you twisting the volume knob further.

Hey @Blue Shadow and sorry for my late reply.
I appreciate really your comment but I totally forgot to mention that I own a MC-20 Super. So I guess the Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec. is 0,25 mV. It should work out on a pre-amp and a Kenwood KA-9100 which has two MM phono inputs, or?
All the best and thanks
Peter
 
Yes, the Super has an output similar to many LOMCs and an SUT or head amp will get the proper signal for the 9100 phono input. Many phono amps will be fine for a line level input on the 9100 like Aux. never knew what an Aux was back in the day but it is a phono amp so common today.
 
Thanks a lot @Blue Shadow ... I love such passionated posts like yours. That's the reason why I love the HiFi guys.
Yes,, tried it but sadly I have some problems with my Garrard 301 with this Ortofon MC20 SUPER and my Pro-Ject Phono Box DS+. I don't find the right settings... The sound sounds dull/hollow/muffled and distorted. Struggling since 3 hours and tried everything. I guess I'm lost....
 
If you set the Box to MC, 100Ω and 60dB gain it should amplify the phono signal properly into the Aux input on the 9100

If the sound is crappy when doing that, redo the tonearm/cartridge setup to verify that the nail is being properly dragged through the groove.

If you have problems after that, something isn't working right.
 
If you set the Box to MC, 100Ω and 60dB gain it should amplify the phono signal properly into the Aux input on the 9100

If the sound is crappy when doing that, redo the tonearm/cartridge setup to verify that the nail is being properly dragged through the groove.

If you have problems after that, something isn't working right.

Will try your suggestion tomorrow. Hopefully this works out!
 
If you set the Box to MC, 100Ω and 60dB gain it should amplify the phono signal properly into the Aux input on the 9100

If the sound is crappy when doing that, redo the tonearm/cartridge setup to verify that the nail is being properly dragged through the groove.

If you have problems after that, something isn't working right.

So @Blue Shadow
your settings worked out. But just on the AUX input as you mentioned.
It works out now and everything is OK. Maybe I will check if there are other cartridges for my record player and then I would choose a MC cartridge. Do you have any suggestions? On the other record player I use an ORTOFON 2M BRONZE and yes, not sooo bad
Thanks a lot
 
Your Box is a phono preamp designed to put out a line level signal. All inputs, tape, tuner, aux and on other units signal processor loops are line level. The phono input is a much lower level input and has extra amplification as well as the possibility of overload if fed a line level signal

If you use an MM cartridge, go right into the amp phono, same with a High Output Moving Coil cartridge. If you use an LOMC like the 20Super, you will need a Step Up Transformer (SUT) or a specific phono moving coil preamplifier also called a head amp to boost the signal to the input level of the phono input. The moving coil preamp is not very common today but Rothwell Audio does make one. Just seems more common to boost LOMC to line level as many units don't have phono inputs anymore.

Maybe I will check if there are other cartridges for my record player and then I would choose a MC cartridge.
Your Bronze is an MM
Your MC20S is an MC, Low output.

The cartridge really can change the sound of the system. Are you thrilled with the sound of these two? Do they sound similar like the same company made them? I have a few Ortofon LOMC but don't have any of their MM in working condition.

If you want to add another cartridge, think about what you like in the sound of the Ortofons and what changes you might like in the sound. Post your impressions in the turntable forum to get suggestions from the masses. In your orbit it appears you have the funds to buy decent cartridges. ak is about vintage and cheap so some will come in and proclaim the audio technica 95 is the cartridge to get. This is just above entry level but does offer different stylus shapes which is a plus. But with cartridges selling from 25-17,000 the AT at 200 for the microline stylus isn't the final answer in cartridges. So many choices. Some do know the sound of them.
 
Back
Top Bottom