• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kenwood KD-2055

h3ll0

Active Member
I have found a kenwood KD-2055 (a.k.a the rock) turntable with a cheap audiotechnica cartridge (probably a at3600 or CN5625AL) for $70 locally and was wondering what opinion you have on this turntable and how it compares to the technics SL-DL1 or SL-QL1(quartz) turntable I have now in terms of sound and build quailty.

Also what is a good cart to pair with this turntable?

attached is a pic of the turntable in question
 

Attachments

  • download_20140730_155524.jpg
    download_20140730_155524.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I have two Kenwoods and think these faux marble versions are under rated. Direct compare to the Technics is difficult as they are DD and this is belt.

Get it set up right and I'm betting it will sound good.

From what I've read, I think an AT95 would be a good match, but I have no first hand experience with this model or the AT cart.
 
Those are very decent tables. I had a KD 3055 full auto and really liked it. Plinth was dead silent. I agree on trying an AT95E
 
I've owned or worked on 6 to 10 of the 2055 and I like it quite a lot. It seems it was a popular turntable in BC, perhaps because it was promoted by Kelly's or A&B Sound when they had several stores around the province.

It does have some motor noise on occasion which usually improves with oiling and possible mounting bushing replacement. It also sometimes has problems with the plastic spring that is related to the arm return. Worst thing I have seen with them is corroded aluminum parts and that's harder to fix.

I would buy one that looks as good as that for $70 any day of the week. And the AT95E would be fine. It also would be good with an older Shure like the M75, M91 etc.

I have nothing against the Technics you mention as they are fine tables and might even be better on paper in some specs, but in good condition I would take the Kenwood. If you must have only 2, get rid of a Technics.
 
Last edited:
I've owned or worked on 6 to 10 of the 2055 and I like it quite a lot. It seems it was a popular turntable in BC, perhaps because it was promoted by Kelly's or A&B Sound when they had several stores around the province.

It does have some motor noise on occasion which usually improves with oiling and possible mounting bushing replacement. It also sometimes has problems with the plastic spring that is related to the arm return. Worst thing I have seen with them is corroded aluminum parts and that's harder to fix.

I would buy one that looks as good as that for $70 any day of the week. And the AT95E would be fine. It also would be good with an older Shure like the M75, M91 etc.

I have nothing against the Technics you mention as they are fine tables and might even be better on paper in some specs, but in good condition I would take the Kenwood. If you must have only 2, get rid of a Technics.

There is also a pioneer PL-12D for $75 with a shure M75B cartridge how would that compare to the kenwood?
 
The Pioneer is ok too, but I think I would still rather have the Kenwood. They are similar in some respects but the Kenwood does have auto return at least. I also just like the base and the "stick shift" that sets the spring in the auto-return.
 
The Pioneer is ok too, but I think I would still rather have the Kenwood. They are similar in some respects but the Kenwood does have auto return at least. I also just like the base and the "stick shift" that sets the spring in the auto-return.
I was leaning towards the kenwood too as it has auto return and I love the mechanical click it has to all the buttons.

I was just considering the pioneer as it is a well regarded turntable and it came with a better cartridge.
 
The Kenwood and the Pioneer are the same price. At that, I too would chose the Kenwood, going on the assumption that it would be better to replace the stylus on either and start fresh.

I have the 2055. It doesn't see much use at the moment having been supplanted by a Pioneer 510A. The base is much heavier than the Pioneer and is sonically quieter. The on/off and play controls are unique. You may/may not like them. The aluminum also has a tendency to pit/corrode if it has not been taken care off.

Check it out. Plan on a new $10/$15 belt. Test the on/off function switch to be sure the gear is not stripped, which can happen with improper use because of the unique style. Observe the base for yellowing from smoke. It should be a beautiful white. The front logo is likely crooked from failing glue; this is common. If it passes, buy it. It is a nice table and a keeper.
 
The Kenwood is such a nicer table over the Pioneer. The heavy corian plinth on the Kenwood is not only attractive (corian vs vinyl) to look at but is such a more solid plinth in comparison to the Pioneer. The mechanism is also more simplistic and I do prefer the tone arm of the Kenwood over the Pioneer. Overall, while both are decent tables, the Kenwood is much more "solid."
 
The Kenwood is such a nicer table over the Pioneer. The heavy corian plinth on the Kenwood is not only attractive (corian vs vinyl) to look at but is such a more solid plinth in comparison to the Pioneer. The mechanism is also more simplistic and I do prefer the tone arm of the Kenwood over the Pioneer. Overall, while both are decent tables, the Kenwood is much more "solid."

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble but I ended up getting the pioneer as it was in nicer condition,came with a shure m75b cart with a NOS shure N75-6 stylus,all the accesories it originally came with, and I could get a new belt for it for $7 locally instead of $15 online for the kenwoods belt (which I can't really buy as I don't have a credit card or paypal).

The only downside is someone overopened the lid and it has a crack in the back left corner (the kenwood had a chip in the same spot)

The pioneer also came with a technics SL-1500 headshell with a phillips 400 cartridge in need of a needle with it. Where as the kenwood came with a plastic audiotechnica headshell and $20 CN5625AL cartridge. The kenwoods speed was off aswell where as the pioneer was spot on.

I can also upgrade the stylus on the shure m75B as I bought a JICO N75-6 elliptical needle for my shure M75 type D on my dual.

So overall the pioneer was a better buy for me as the man I was buying the kenwood from was 30 KM away and gas is $5 a gallon and sounds quite a bit better than my Technics SL-DL1 with a audiotechnica AT3482p cart.
 
Last edited:
I'm planning on building a new plinth based off of this build guide.

http://briarsfield-hifi.co.uk/pl12d_custom_prototype.htm

And getting a new dustcover when I can find one as the little crack turned into a big one on the ride home and finally snaped so I had to super glue the pieces back together but other than that the new belt I bought fit perfectly and someone replaced the foam on the springs with new foam already, so the next thing is to oil the motor and regrease the main bearing.

The turntable also included a felt mat but I opted not to use it as it made the sound worse instead of better.

I am really loving the sound signature of the shure M75B. The bass is precise and punchy the mids are nice and clear and the highs are almost perfect to my ears.:music:
 
Nothing wrong with that choice for a host of good reasons. Enjoy it. :)
Hi Montycat! Very old thread, hoping you're still on. Since you've spent time working on the KD-2055 maybe you have some advise. I've got one of these with the bad motor mounts. Clearly replacements must not be still available but I was wondering if you had a specific replacement part you liked to use instead? Thanks!!
 
Hi Montycat! Very old thread, hoping you're still on. Since you've spent time working on the KD-2055 maybe you have some advise. I've got one of these with the bad motor mounts. Clearly replacements must not be still available but I was wondering if you had a specific replacement part you liked to use instead? Thanks!!

I don't know a definitive replacement but I have had success with adding to compressed mounts with small o-rings. You ideally would want something a bit soft or compressible. You could perhaps make them yourself out of some neoprene or other spongey rubbery material.
 
I don't know a definitive replacement but I have had success with adding to compressed mounts with small o-rings. You ideally would want something a bit soft or compressible. You could perhaps make them yourself out of some neoprene or other spongey rubbery material.
Great advice thank you! Since the bushings are worn causing the motor to sag, I assume the proper position for the motor is to have it snug so that the motor mounting plate is just barely clear of the plinth so it doesn’t touch?
 
Motor mounts can be easily replaced via other options or even other bushings, Gary at voice of music, sells some. You can also adjust the height of the spindle on the shaft so, it just takes times to get everything in the proper position.
 
Good points above. The motor mounts at Voice Of Music are very inexpensive and easy to add on to a stylus order which is what I did. I don't recall if they were a good fit for the Kenwood though.
 
Back
Top Bottom