• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kenwood KD-2070 Cue Drop Grease?

Atetrack

New Member
Does anyone know how the cue mechanism is greased on a Kenwood KD-2070? I see a small set screw on the top side that lifts the cue platform up slightly but doesn't release it all the way.
 
Register to hide this ad
Does anyone know how the cue mechanism is greased on a Kenwood KD-2070? I see a small set screw on the top side that lifts the cue platform up slightly but doesn't release it all the way.
You have to go from the bottom panel where the base of the tonearm is. You have to clean the old grease out and refill with a couple drops of 300K silicone oil (RC car hobby shops carry that oil). Check youtube, there might be a video or two.
 
Does anyone know how the cue mechanism is greased on a Kenwood KD-2070? I see a small set screw on the top side that lifts the cue platform up slightly but doesn't release it all the way.
You have to go from the bottom panel where the base of the tonearm is. You have to clean the old grease out and refill with a couple drops of 300K silicone oil (RC car hobby shops carry that oil). Check youtube, there might be a video or two.
Ye I checked online and can’t find any info on this. This is why I see from the bottom.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3331.jpeg
    IMG_3331.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3332.jpeg
    IMG_3332.jpeg
    309.7 KB · Views: 11
Ye I checked online and can’t find any info on this. This is why I see from the bottom.
Sorry I didn't specify. Remove the platter and see if you can access the tonearm base. BTW, I haven't worked on this specific table so I'm just going off of what I can find online. I can't access Vinylengine.com from work so viewing a diagram of the unit isn't possible right now.

From Google:
    • Remove the Cueing Platform: Lower the cueing lever to its down position and carefully secure the tonearm. Locate the small set screw securing the cueing platform (the curved metal bar the tonearm rests on) and loosen it so the platform can be lifted off.
    • Expose the Piston: Once the platform is off, you will see a small brass or metal piston. Gently lift it up and out of its sleeve.
    • Clean the Old Fluid: Use a cotton swab and a drop of isopropyl alcohol to wipe away any old, hardened grease or dirt from the piston and the inside of the sleeve.
    • Apply New Damping Fluid: Using high-viscosity silicone oil (you can easily find 300,000 cSt fluid on eBay or specialized turntable audio sites) apply a few drops around the shaft of the piston.
    • Reassemble: Carefully slide the piston back into the cylinder sleeve. The thick fluid will create immediate resistance. Put the cueing bridge back into place, secure the set screw, and test the lever to ensure a smooth, gentle drop.
      Turntable Needles +1
 
Sorry I didn't specify. Remove the platter and see if you can access the tonearm base. BTW, I haven't worked on this specific table so I'm just going off of what I can find online. I can't access Vinylengine.com from work so viewing a diagram of the unit isn't possible right now.
All good, ended up pullin it out from the bottom, kinda tough cause there’s a C clip that holds it so you gotta pull it up while it’s under spring tension take off the clip and it slides right out. Thanks for the help!
 
It appears that the cueing is controlled by the main lever (off-on/cue-play), not a traditional cylinder which uses damping silicone. I did a little looking around and didn't find a lot on this model, I just looked at a cue/lift assembly photo for it on e=bay. I would operate the mechanism and observe how it works. I always suggest tracking down a service manual but in the case of most Kenwood decks I've serviced, they aren't very helpful in describing procedures, pretty much just a parts list and diagram. It may help to describe any issues you are having with it as well. Not sure if there is a particular problem you are having. Hopefully someone here who knows this deck will chime in soon. Welcome to AK and best luck !
 
It appears that the cueing is controlled by the main lever (off-on/cue-play), not a traditional cylinder which uses damping silicone. I did a little looking around and didn't find a lot on this model, I just looked at a cue/lift assembly photo for it on e=bay. I would operate the mechanism and observe how it works. I always suggest tracking down a service manual but in the case of most Kenwood decks I've serviced, they aren't very helpful in describing procedures, pretty much just a parts list and diagram. It may help to describe any issues you are having with it as well. Not sure if there is a particular problem you are having. Hopefully someone here who knows this deck will chime in soon. Welcome to AK and best luck !
See post #5.
 
Back
Top Bottom