• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kenwood KD-770D Headshell

Howdy People, I just purchased a very nice Kenwood KD-770D. I have not had a working turntable in 18 years but kept all my old vinyl. The turntable has a Stanton Headshell on it but I would like to find an orginal one. Does anyone know where I should start my search? I live west of Toronto.
Thanx, Jim
 
Register to hide this ad
Audiogon, eBay of course (do a search for Kenwood Headshell, when you get the results save the search, they'll notify you when they come up). You've already asked here. Try posting it on AK in the want add section under "want to find". Buy a spare TT of the same model from the 'Bay even if it's not working for spares?
 
Kenwood Headshell

Check the audio shops in Toronto that have been around for a while that deal in decent new and used equipment, I bet you will find one there.
 
First off, congrats on the table. The KD-770d is definately a looker and a very nice audiophile table at that.

Second, why not upgrade to a new cartridge? I think you will be hard pressed to find a NOS Kenwood cart and even if you do there are much better ones out there today.

Regardless of what you decide, enjoy that beauty.:thmbsp:
 
Thanks, It is a really nice looking piece, it sounds great too. I'm not really up to speed on carts & needles and what not. My last turntable I bought in 85 was a Sharpe linear tracking that did the job until I made the jump to CD's in 87. I stop listening to vinyl altogether around 89-90. However one of my all time favourite lps has never seen the cd age in an offical release. Someone made CDR's from albums back in the mid 90s and I replaced my "Metal Maxell tape" I was using as a listening source then." That album is Black Pearl from Pat Travers, in fact a few albums of his has never seen the light of day in the CD age.
Anyways my plan (maybe flawed) for the KD-770D was to find an orginal Headshell and install a Shure V15 type IV on it. The guy I bought the table from gave me the table with a Stanton Headshell with a D5100/AL-11 on it.
Sounds good to me, but he also gave me the Shure on a Yamaha Headshell as the cart to use, but the Yamaha Headshell didn't track correctly. So here I am thinking it would be better to find an orginal headshell and but the Shure on it then.
 
It helps to READ the original post...:D

I mistakenly thought you were looking for the original cart...DOH!

Anyhow, finding the headshell will be a needle in a haystack, but I can definately understand your motivation in doing that..
 
Any luck on the headshell?

I've been looking for an original headshell for the cheap replacement that is on my KD750.

Lot's of eBay searches, but no luck so far.
 
OK, the stock Kenwood Part number for the KD-770D headshell is J92-0093-08. Looks like they may still have the part in stock at Pacific Coast Parts (www.pacparts.com) for $33. Completely worth it.

Please note that this is an offset headshell, as is used on straight-line tonearms, so a straight EIA headshell like you'd find on the S shaped KD-x50 turntables isn't going to do you any good.

A good generic replacement can be found here:

http://www.needledoctor.com/ADC-Headshell

although I'm sure there are many other sources. Good luck!
 
Thanks for the replies...still no headshell though. That is one unique unit. Nothing aftermarket works as they are connected to the tonearm differently. I found a Sony that was a mini version, looked the same in all aspects but was a completely different scale. All the head shells that would mount to this tonearm are not angled...unique beast indeed.
Funny thing I see these decks come up and the headshells have been replaced or removed in quite a few instances. That tells me that somebody out there is sitting on a couple.
Come on Dudes spread the wealth!
 
I'am in a similar situation with my Kenwood KD-770D.
I have the original tonearm+headshell, but I want to alternate two cartidridge, thus I need another angled headshell (at least until I will decide to change the tonearm).
From the photo, it is clear that the ADC headshell from needledoctor does not fit with the electric connections of the arm.
I have tried to adopt a standard EIA 4 pin headshell and I have found that it is OK from the electric point of view. Clearly, you need to angle the cartridge!
In order to obtain a correct allignment I think that it is also necessary to put the cartridge quite close to the attach, and to this purpose it could be necessary to make a pair of new holes in the headhell. Have you already tried this?
Bye,
SC
 
so to resurrect this old thread - what headshell did you end up with?
I need one for my KD-750 which is 11g weight.
Let me know - thanks!
 
OK, the stock Kenwood Part number for the KD-770D headshell is J92-0093-08. Looks like they may still have the part in stock at Pacific Coast Parts (www.pacparts.com) for $33. Completely worth it.

Please note that this is an offset headshell, as is used on straight-line tonearms, so a straight EIA headshell like you'd find on the S shaped KD-x50 turntables isn't going to do you any good.

A good generic replacement can be found here:

http://www.needledoctor.com/ADC-Headshell

although I'm sure there are many other sources. Good luck!


I know it's seven years later, but it's a shame that pa parts doesn't even have the model listed anymore. They should at least show it and say "parts no longer available".
 
I know this is very old, yet the struggle continues. I just wanted to mention that I found a source of suitable headshells for the '770, after several months of looking. I bought 3 of them and they work fine. My deck didn't come with an original headshell, so I'm not certain if this one is *exactly* the same but it is a lot closer in form than the suggested Denon DP300 unit. With this one you can align the stylus point of contact to the axis of the vertical bearing, if that makes sense... per the original design.

They are black but they are some sort of metal, not plastic. The connector fits nice and snug. I was using a cheap plastic straight one with the slots filed out and the cart all crazy angled in there. This is very much better than that!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221446992015?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I am in no way associated with the seller, besides being a very satisfied customer. Despite that the "make an offer" option is made available, they didn't bite on what I thought was a pretty reasonable one. I think the words about a discount are pretty much about the shipping, I guess. They originally quoted 16 USD to me here in California, for the three. I hope this is helpful to someone.
 
As suggested earlier contact HiFiDo in Japan, as noted they are fluent in English and most of their quality original OEM Japan mfg headshells are not all that expensive.
 
Back
Top Bottom