• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kenwood KP-3021 help

Roguesquatch

New Member
I've got a Kenwood KP-3021 turntable that I'm trying to get up and running but I cannot find any information on it, let alone a manual. It seems as though it was an overseas model so info is scarce.
The issue I am trying to address is the tone arm lever and/or lifter. While the lever moves freely is seems to have no effect on the lifter. Everything else seems to work fine as far as I can tell, and the turntable itself is in very good condition.
I have a little bit of experience with turntable repair, but I am nowhere near an expert. There are two rubber plugs near the tone arm (pictured) that I noticed but I abstained from just randomly poking around and turning screws.
Does anyone have any experience working on these beautiful Kenwood tables? I've got a friend that I have finally convinced to take the plunge into the vintage audio and vinyl realm and we found him a nice Pioneer receiver to get started. I have over a dozen turntables so I brought out a few and had him see if any interested him and he chose this one over a TEAC and a Technics, so I'm trying to get this working so he can take the next step. Any help would be appreciated by both of us!
 

Attachments

  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    31.9 KB · Views: 42
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    40.7 KB · Views: 38
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    37.6 KB · Views: 37
Register to hide this ad
I've got a Kenwood KP-3021 turntable that I'm trying to get up and running but I cannot find any information on it, let alone a manual. It seems as though it was an overseas model so info is scarce.
The issue I am trying to address is the tone arm lever and/or lifter. While the lever moves freely is seems to have no effect on the lifter. Everything else seems to work fine as far as I can tell, and the turntable itself is in very good condition.
I have a little bit of experience with turntable repair, but I am nowhere near an expert. There are two rubber plugs near the tone arm (pictured) that I noticed but I abstained from just randomly poking around and turning screws.
Does anyone have any experience working on these beautiful Kenwood tables? I've got a friend that I have finally convinced to take the plunge into the vintage audio and vinyl realm and we found him a nice Pioneer receiver to get started. I have over a dozen turntables so I brought out a few and had him see if any interested him and he chose this one over a TEAC and a Technics, so I'm trying to get this working so he can take the next step. Any help would be appreciated by both of us!

Welcome to the AK turn table forum.

The lifter may just need to have the silicone oil replenished - 500,000 wt.. :idea:

You may have to use the manual from a similar model as a guide.

Example:
https://www.amazon.com/Arrowmax-SIL...82&sr=8-1&keywords=SILICONE+FLUID+500,000+CST
 
Welcome to the AK turn table forum.

The lifter may just need to have the silicone oil replenished - 500,000 wt.. :idea:

You may have to use the manual from a similar model as a guide.

Example:
https://www.amazon.com/Arrowmax-SILICONE-FLUID-500-000/dp/B00LCJIECY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1550431082&sr=8-1&keywords=SILICONE+FLUID+500,000+CST
Alright, I'm trying the "similar model" route but I'm not getting very close. I was hoping to avoid just digging blindly but it looks like that's my only course here. Little to no info for this model as I said earlier. Anyone know anything about this table and why it's so hard to track down?
 
The screw under the cap near the tonearm (if there is one) won't have anything to do with cueing, but perhaps auto return.

The one near the cue lever might have some effect though I'm not sure.

Does the cue platform sit very low and not move at all? Is there a screw with head facing up near or built into the platform? If there is, it could be just screwed all the way down. Backing it out should allow the platform to rise. There also could be a small set screw at the side of the lifter. Loosening that can allow the platform to be adjusted vertically as well though would likely only help if the platform moves but just not high enough. In other words, the top facing screw if there is one, can adjust the length of travel and the side facing one can change the start/stop positions of the stroke.
 
On Vinyl Engine are four documents, one being a parts list. I have also uploaded what appears to be two service manuals. Check back in a while as it takes some time before these are published on Vinyl Engine. Hope this helps
 
On Vinyl Engine are four documents, one being a parts list. I have also uploaded what appears to be two service manuals. Check back in a while as it takes some time before these are published on Vinyl Engine. Hope this helps

Nice! I'm looking at the "parts list/schematic and see the cue assembly but can't be sure yet if any of the screws in the area help or if they are just mounting screws. There are none that say "height adjustment screw" or anything close.
 
Last edited:

Not me; I'm trying to help the OP. :)

The first link doesn't work for me and the second is one of the same files from Vinyl Engine. It has an exploded parts view but no instructions.
 
I have a KP-3022 and had an issue where the arm would not lift properly or go down all the way to allow the needle to make contact with the record.

You have to remove the TT from the base. Two screws under the platter that hold metal arms that grab the base to hold the plinth in place.
Slide those arms inward to release the base and lift the TT up out of the base.

Now look at all the connection and pivot points for the tone arm lift. Clean and lube them till it moves freely.

I should have took pics of this as I just did this a few weeks ago,

Athanasios
 
Hey all, thank you for all your prompt and informative replies. So sorry it's taking me so long to get back to this, but I've been pulled away from this project by some very pressing matters. I deeply appreciate the help and intend to make good use of this info very soon, at which time I will be getting back on AK to offer important updates.
You guys (and girls) truly are the best community I've encountered on the internet!
 
I have a KP-3022 and had an issue where the arm would not lift properly or go down all the way to allow the needle to make contact with the record.

You have to remove the TT from the base. Two screws under the platter that hold metal arms that grab the base to hold the plinth in place.
Slide those arms inward to release the base and lift the TT up out of the base.

Now look at all the connection and pivot points for the tone arm lift. Clean and lube them till it moves freely.

I should have took pics of this as I just did this a few weeks ago,

Athanasios
Ok, so I've removed the tt from the plinth and cleaned and lubed all the parts in the lifter assembly. I don't seem to be able to get the lifter to move much at all though. Is the set screw on the lifter supposed to be all the way in tight?
 
Ok, so I've removed the tt from the plinth and cleaned and lubed all the parts in the lifter assembly. I don't seem to be able to get the lifter to move much at all though. Is the set screw on the lifter supposed to be all the way in tight?

Yes it should be other wise the weight of the tone arm will just let the post slide up in the collider and not move the lifter.
Set the lever to the up position and loosen the set screw . Now lift he tonearm lifer up the the height you want, don't go too high or the needle will drop harder . I go so the needle is about 3 mm
above the record. Tighten it to that position and move the lever to the lowering position. it should lower nice and slow to the record surface
I also added a few drops of oil to the lifter shaft and worked it up and down to loosen any possible debris on the shaft and associated tube.

Nashou
 
Yes it should be other wise the weight of the tone arm will just let the post slide up in the collider and not move the lifter.
Set the lever to the up position and loosen the set screw . Now lift he tonearm lifer up the the height you want, don't go too high or the needle will drop harder . I go so the needle is about 3 mm
above the record. Tighten it to that position and move the lever to the lowering position. it should lower nice and slow to the record surface
I also added a few drops of oil to the lifter shaft and worked it up and down to loosen any possible debris on the shaft and associated tube.

Nashou
Thank you, I got the lifter set to the proper height and it is now lifting and moving properly. All features are now working and I got it to successfully play a record! Major victory for this rank amateur!
Up next is figuring out how to adjust the drop and lift point of the tone arm. The auto feature works at both points, which is fantastic, but it's not set correctly.
 
I have been working on one of these. I found the cueing mechanism didn't have a lot of up/down movement when the turntable wasn't running. When the motor was on the arm had much more up and down movement. I can't explain why.

If you need to adjust where the needle sets down on the record in automatic mode, there is a screw to adjust it, Remove the rubber cap located by the tonearm base under the counterweight. You will see a phillips screw inside the hole. Turn that screw to make your adjustment.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom