• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kenwood KP-9010 or Yamaha GT-2000

Skip Shot

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Wanted to get some opinions from y'all.

Looking at both these tables for my last TT purchase and wanted see some recommends for each and why?
If you had to choose one... which would be your choice and why?

The reason I'm looking at these tables...

Getting rid of our 2 full manual TT's... VPI TNT 5 HR & Denon DP-2000 & SME III w/damper.
Why the change?
We're getting up in age and our hands aren't quite as steady as they used to be.
Have recently purchased a Sony PS-x75 (full auto) for the wife and am looking at a semi for myself.

A little on our system...
Pass Xono as the phono amp, so... not limited on cartridges.
Speakers are Kappa 9's.
Amps are 2 PL 700 Series II's.
PS Audio P1000 for voltage conversion.

The GT-2000 will be the base model with the YAL-1 for auto-lift.
KP-9010 will be re-capped and adjusted.
They're close on S/N ratings.

Not looking @ resale, just musical abilities of either/both.
We come from DD TT's from back in the 70's & 80's.

Thanks all for any suggestions/opinions.

Skip

It's a tuff choice, they're both gorgeous tables... love the black.
Pics of both...
yes


a.jpg
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Hello, I have had a Kenwood kp-990 and kp-1100 (KP-1100 and the KP-9010 are identical) come through here along with a gt-2000 (which I should have kept), anyway in my opinion the Yamaha is superior to the Kenwood. The Kenwood's are excellent tables, but I was not prepared for just how good the Yamaha is. I made the mistake of agreeing to sell it before I brought it back from Japan, and once I got it home and listened to it on my system, I knew I had to find another one. I'm sure there will be others chime in, it will be interesting to see what they think, I will be keeping an eye on this to satisfy my curiosity!
I did buy another GT, but it is still in Japan and with the current situation (coronavirus) I doubt I'll be getting over there anytime soon to bring it back, oh well!
PK
 
That is a tough choice.

While I haven't heard a KP-9010, it looks very well constructed, and it's from the lineage of the L-07D which is widely considered one of the Japanese DD super tables.

I have a GT-2000 and a GT-2000L, and they're wonderful tables. One of the best things about the GT-2000 are the options available for it. Both of my GT-2000's have the YAL-1 auto-lift, aftermarket YOP-1 external power supply and aftermarket YGT-1 18kg platter.

I don't think you can go wrong buying either table.
 
Both are excellent 'end game' DD tables and it would be hard to pick a winner out of these. Will both have to be sourced from Japan or are either already in the US ?

Love the Xono too by the way - not a lot of us with them out there. You can truly make *any* ('cept strain gauge) cartridge work with one of those.

jblnut
 
It's a pick-em choice here, both are awesome tables. But if going by specs the Kenny is a bit smoother and quieter, most likely due to the slotless coreless motor incorporated.
 
It appears as though the 9010 has a sort of unibody frame beneath a shell plinth while the GT is altogether several layers of MDF and the GT is significantly heavier than the 9010. They will likely sound very different from one another. My guess is that the Kenwood tonearm is better while the GT probably offers more body to the sound. I guess it comes down to which is more important to you.
 
Well having heard either of them and both so highly rated I would think it's a simple matter of visual appeal. Although when I look at them, that's not an easy choice either. Talk about first world problems!
Ok, think I have this solved. Say your out at a bar and there is a stunning blonde and a stunning redhead. Both want to go home with you. What to do? Of course, take them both home! There, solved it for you, buy both!

BillWojo
 
Thanks you's guys...
Excellent comments that are very helpful.
Keep em' comin'...

jbl; GT-2000 @ hifido.
KP-9010 waiting for that one to come up again.
Looking for one with original container. Don't come up that often w/shipping container but, if you're patient they do appear.
Just missed one that sold in Vancouver... dang it!

Have been leaning towards the KP. Really do prefer that black.
Will look sweet next to our PS-x75.

Wanted to see how that compared to the GT via knowledgable folks.

If the GT landed in my lap at a great price I won't be a bitchin'. Even if it's the L version with wood plinth. Nice nice TT.
If it comes down to the GT being available it'll have to have the YAL-1.
Will have to have the auto-lift.

There's a KP-1100 for sale @ Yahoo Japan with original shipping container but, if going to Japan for purchase I much prefer thru hifido.
With shipping comes in under $1k.
Nice price but... not hifido. They're TT shipping gurus.

If they're that close in performance I'll be choosing visually.

Skip
 
Bahahaaaaaa.... Bill.
Absolutely yes!
You made that sound so easy that I'm ashamed I didn't think of that.

But, how do I get the wife to agree on two
S
w
e
e
t

T
T
'
s
.

You thought I was gonna say... :rflmao:
 
Thanks you's guys...
Excellent comments that are very helpful.
Keep em' comin'...

jbl; GT-2000 @ hifido.
KP-9010 waiting for that one to come up again.
Looking for one with original container. Don't come up that often w/shipping container but, if you're patient they do appear.
Just missed one that sold in Vancouver... dang it!

Have been leaning towards the KP. Really do prefer that black.
Will look sweet next to our PS-x75.

Wanted to see how that compared to the GT via knowledgable folks.

If the GT landed in my lap at a great price I won't be a bitchin'. Even if it's the L version with wood plinth. Nice nice TT.
If it comes down to the GT being available it'll have to have the YAL-1.
Will have to have the auto-lift.

There's a KP-1100 for sale @ Yahoo Japan with original shipping container but, if going to Japan for purchase I much prefer thru hifido.
With shipping comes in under $1k.
Nice price but... not hifido. They're TT shipping gurus.

If they're that close in performance I'll be choosing visually.

Skip

The Kenny is not black, it's actually a very dark high gloss mahogany wood grain that is almost impossible to show in pictures.
 
It appears as though the 9010 has a sort of unibody frame beneath a shell plinth while the GT is altogether several layers of MDF and the GT is significantly heavier than the 9010. They will likely sound very different from one another. My guess is that the Kenwood tonearm is better while the GT probably offers more body to the sound. I guess it comes down to which is more important to you.

The Kenwood does have an excellent arm, though I prefer the straight version like on my KD770D, the baby of the line.
20181127_170255.jpg

To the OP, if liking the exotic wood look there's a guy on eBay refurbing these with new veneer.

Screenshot_20191102-171014.png
Screenshot_20191102-170943.png

With patience this table can be had for about half your budget, though not with the exotic wood lol. The KD770D is an awesome table, though the baby of the line it's no slouch. Sure it doesn't have the cast subchassis, but it does sport the same slotless coreless motor incorporated in the other models.
 
Last edited:
Skip Shot, you had me. LOL

Grenadeslio, I love that exotic wood veneer that fellow is doing, especially the bottom pick. Makes it look like it was made out of one solid plank. I wonder if he would veneer just a bare plinth?

On Edit: Scratch that idea, I see he is in Germany. Going to save the pictures though.

BillWojo
 
Last edited:
Thanks you's guys...
Excellent comments that are very helpful.
Keep em' comin'...

jbl; GT-2000 @ hifido.
KP-9010 waiting for that one to come up again.
Looking for one with original container. Don't come up that often w/shipping container but, if you're patient they do appear.
Just missed one that sold in Vancouver... dang it!

Have been leaning towards the KP. Really do prefer that black.
Will look sweet next to our PS-x75.

Wanted to see how that compared to the GT via knowledgable folks.

If the GT landed in my lap at a great price I won't be a bitchin'. Even if it's the L version with wood plinth. Nice nice TT.
If it comes down to the GT being available it'll have to have the YAL-1.
Will have to have the auto-lift.

There's a KP-1100 for sale @ Yahoo Japan with original shipping container but, if going to Japan for purchase I much prefer thru hifido.
With shipping comes in under $1k.
Nice price but... not hifido. They're TT shipping gurus.

If they're that close in performance I'll be choosing visually.

Skip

They are simply two very different design philosophies but I don't think you can go wrong with either. I'm definitely in the "buy both" category if you think you can get use out of them. I also agree that hifido is preferred for shipping turntables (it's where I got my first GT).
 
The Kenwood does have an excellent arm, though I prefer the straight version like on my KD770D, the baby of the line.
View attachment 1818600

To the OP, if liking the exotic wood look there's a guy on eBay refurbing these with new veneer.

View attachment 1818606
View attachment 1818607

With patience this table can be had for about half your budget, though not with the exotic wood lol. The KD770D is an awesome table, though the baby of the line it's no slouch. Sure it doesn't have the cast subchassis, but it does port the same slotless coreless motor incorporated in the other models.

Good heavens that is some gorgeous work!
 
I just set up my new to me Kenwood KP-9010. Got it off of CaptMark who gets many hi end Japanese models in all the time. I took some pics and hope to get it them up asap. But I did get to break it in for about 5 hours of listening. I really like it. Its HUGE !!! And built like a tank and beautiful plinth. I put an AT-OC9ML/II on it and so far so good. I have the name of a guy who makes smoked lids for these too.
 
Hey 808,
This is the stand for the TT, KP most likely will be utilizing this.
Not sure on the x75... whether it's getting a wall mount shelf or if it's going onto the wide audio stand that sits between the speakers.

First shelf is for the Xono and bottom shelf is where the SDS sat.
The stand has openings on top of the legs for either sand or lead shot.
The VPI base, what the TNT's sitting on, has points that sit on top of the stand's legs. Stand also has points.

Haven't made up my mind if I'll be keeping that VPI platform the TNT's sitting on... thinking it should go with the VPI :dunno:
A smaller base for the KP will tone down the size a bunch.

Just left of the platter is the flywheel and just to the left of the flywheel is where the TT motor goes.
The sheer size/weight of this set-up :eek: is why I'm getting rid of it and going to the PS-x75 & KP-9010.
This setup is just crazy heavy and large... too old and worn-out now to move this around.
IMG_0877.JPG
 
Bush,
That's quite the coincidence...
I was in contact with CaptMark regarding a KP 9010.
He said I just missed one he had for sale. Wonder if yours is the one he was talking about.
Really would like to get the KP from him as he does fantastic work re-capping and adjusting to factory spec.
 
Bush,
That's quite the coincidence...
I was in contact with CaptMark regarding a KP 9010.
He said I just missed one he had for sale. Wonder if yours is the one he was talking about.
Really would like to get the KP from him as he does fantastic work re-capping and adjusting to factory spec.

I got it off him in Feb. It is minty !! But just set it up this past Saturday. Life has had me busy. If he has your email, then tell him what you want and he will put you first on the list. I missed out on one he had on ebay, but contacted him and got on the list for the next one. CaptMark is a great guy. Very thorough.
 
Back
Top Bottom