• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kenwood KR-10000 II - Finally Relamped to LEDs

TheWindyCity

New Member
Greetings all! With much time on my hands due to he current world situation, I decided to re-lamp my Kenwood KR-10000 II one final and last time, using LEDs. I have re-lamped this receiver multiple times since I have owned it. We have it on pretty much every day for more than 8 hours! I previously put dropping resistors in the lamp supplies to make the bulbs last longer. I was getting about 5 years out of the incandescent bulbs this way.

The receiver has two lamp power supplies to drive 21 incandescent lamps in total. One supplies 8 volts AC to four bayonet style lamps for the meters. Another supplies 8 volts DC to seventeen 3mm grain of wheat lamps.

LEDs:
After testing, I used these 12VAC 180 degree, 2700K lamps from Superbright LEDs for the meter lamps. Power to the lamps was at about 9 VAC, and the brightness level was perfect for the four meters.

For the remaining grain of wheat lamps, I went to eBay searching for a 3mm warm white LED, and found a 3500K, 3.0 V, 20mA, 120 degree angle LED in a 3mm package. To this, I added a 270 ohm, 1/8 watt dropping resistor.

The conversion took me about 2 weeks from procurement to finish. I am really pleased with the light level and color. It looks great lit up at night in the stereo cabinet. Now I don't have to worry about going back in to change lamps any longer.


In process -- a mix of both
20200405_145020.jpg

20200330_191522.jpg


How I modified 17 of the 3mm LEDs
20200405_195116.jpg



Old and new meter lamps
20200330_190753.jpg

20200330_185258.jpg

20200331_191207.jpg



Completed modification:
20200405_154511.jpg

1070488.jpg

1070491.jpg

1070489.jpg

20200405_201312.jpg

1070480.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Greetings all! With much time on my hands due to he current world situation, I decided to re-lamp my Kenwood KR-10000 II one final and last time, using LEDs. I have re-lamped this receiver multiple times since I have owned it. We have it on pretty much every day for more than 8 hours! I previously put dropping resistors in the lamp supplies to make the bulbs last longer. I was getting about 5 years out of the incandescent bulbs this way.

The receiver has two lamp power supplies to drive 21 incandescent lamps in total. One supplies 8 volts AC to four bayonet style lamps for the meters. Another supplies 8 volts DC to seventeen 3mm grain of wheat lamps.

LEDs:
After testing, I used these 12VAC 180 degree, 2700K lamps from Superbright LEDs for the meter lamps. Power to the lamps was at about 9 VAC, and the brightness level was perfect for the four meters.

Nice work! On the meter lamps, it looks like yours uses the same "globe" style lamps as a KR-2400 uses for the dial. Did you have any flicker with those LEDs?
 
Nice work! On the meter lamps, it looks like yours uses the same "globe" style lamps as a KR-2400 uses for the dial. Did you have any flicker with those LEDs?
No flicker at all, even with the "Dim" button engaged, although that no longer has an effect because the dim circuit dims via a diode.
 
Back
Top Bottom