• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kenwood KR-4600 receiver -- protection circuit?

bangsezmax

Turntable Whisperer
Subscriber
Hi all --
I just picked up a freebie KR-4600 receiver. Very, very low output on all functions, sounds like I'm just getting some pre-amp bleedthrough or something.

Do these units have a protection circuit? I found a schematic. It's at http://www.fotoalbumet.com/u/00/24/40/files/Manuals/KR-4600_2.PNG. Didn't want to imbed it in the post because it's huge.

It appears that there may be variations in the circuits on this unit.

Anything else I should check besides protection (I did check fuses already)?

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
The protection circuit wouldn't cause this symptom. I would clean all the switches and then trace the signal with an oscilloscope if it still didn't work.
 
The protection circuit wouldn't cause this symptom. I would clean all the switches and then trace the signal with an oscilloscope if it still didn't work.
I've sprayed the switches and pots. And I have no scope. :worried:
 
Eliminate all the stupid things. No shorting plugs in tape out jacks. The Speaker switch is one of the in series type, so you'll get no sound in the A+B position unless there are speakers on both. ALso - try it with head phones, and different sources (besides tuner) Do you have a cassette deck - see if meters read in record mode. Fuses seem to be the only protection circuit - Visible inspection of PCB's may reveal something. Good luck.
 
Okay, put this one in the "stupid things" category. On these Kenwoods (which I have very little experience with) the jacks marked "Adapter" are actually the preamp-to-amp jacks. The jumpers that are supposed to be there are AWOL on my unit. Couple RCA cables fixed that.

Learn new stuff all the time with this hobby.
 
Back
Top Bottom