• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kenwood KR-5200, no power

tubmyk2

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Just picked up a broken Kenwood KR-5200 from a friend who said it worked fine till all of a sudden it just didn't power on. I checked the main fuse, and it looks good. I have not tried replacing it yet. I took a look inside and see no other fuses. Any ideas?
 
Register to hide this ad
Power switch? Power cord? Measure continuity from each prong of the power cord through the fuse and switch and transformer.
 
Ah ha - found that it does get power, and only gets lights in FM and AM - everything else I select the lights go out. I am testing this without hooking up to any speakers because I brought it to work to look at, but I found that all 3 fuses are good and my next step is to see if the audio actually works.
 
I get a lot of items where the bulbs are burnt out but, the item does play.

I had (2) of these, they sounded sweet!

Thanks,
John.:music::D
 
Last edited:
Got a KR5200 asa daily player....

Found three Kenwoods in the landfill. My 5200 came very dirty. It almost did not make the ride home. Loaded with a half inch of dirt and no dial lights. They not soldered in:D and took a banyet type 47 bulb. I think its 6 volts. Available a Radio Shack. Takes four. Had three on hand. Works fine with 3. Cleaned out all the dirt. Put contact cleaner on the controls. Took a clean paint brush to the tuner. Finally I stole the cabinet off a KR7200--another project.

I will be back in NY if you need help. Visiting family in the midwest. Its a nice receiver. Start and end my day with it. Went to my sleeping quarters. Have a Best Buy indoor ant (recommended) that pulls 25 stations in the Hudson Valley. It did have several cold solder joints on the protection relay. Put my Dual 1019 with it. Decent preamp section. Still have an occasional drop out on the left channel. Once I get the KR7200 going I will swap it out. They do sound good.

As said give me a PM if you need help. Run a lot of Pioneers but this last summer I got three Kenwoods. The KR5400 sounds terrific in the shop.

Eric:music:
 
I did find that it definitely works, at least the tuner portion does. All three lights on the panel are out, but that's great you mentioned I could find them at Radio Shack because I saw they looked more common than the fuse-type or lead-type...

I still need to test it with something on the aux and the phono. I can do this at any point, I'm just lazy tonight! The only thing that happens right now is that the tuning light goes out when the switch is moved to phono or beyond, but with no panel lights present, maybe it's supposed to do that? Can anyone confirm?
 
I did find that it definitely works, at least the tuner portion does. All three lights on the panel are out, but that's great you mentioned I could find them at Radio Shack because I saw they looked more common than the fuse-type or lead-type...

I still need to test it with something on the aux and the phono. I can do this at any point, I'm just lazy tonight! The only thing that happens right now is that the tuning light goes out when the switch is moved to phono or beyond, but with no panel lights present, maybe it's supposed to do that? Can anyone confirm?

Yes...

Thanks,
john.:music::D
 
I changed out the 3 dial lights and all seems good! I'll get some pics later; I turned this thing around from nasty to flashy :)
 
Back
Top Bottom