• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kenwood KR-6160 vs. KR-7600

goldwax

dozy ming-mong
I've got the 7600 and love it. However, I just noticed the 6160 and found its even clunkier early-'70s (as opposed to the 7600's mid-'70s) looks endearing.

It seems to be about 70 wpc vs. the 7600's 80wpc.

Anyone think I should try to pick up a 6160 if I can find one? Will it perform better or worse than the 7600?
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
KenwoodKR-6160.jpg


Vs.

202.jpg
 
I have a Kenwood KR-5150 so from the same series. I do like its sound alot even at its 40 wpc. Will the KR-6160 sound better than the KR-7600? I would say it will sound a little different. I am not crazy about the faces of that series though, but it has a nice warm sound.
 
nice posting

I actually own both a 7600 and a 6160 and quite honestly, I love the 7600. Just love it. Correct replacement display lamps are tough to find though. As you probably know.
The 6160 is a really nice unit too, but I haven't had the opp to really run it through its paces as it has a balance issue I have yet to fix.
 
Man, things have changed in the past six months! I forgot all about that other Kenwood receiver and instead ended up getting a Sansui AU/TU 7500 set. I'll eventually bring that home (after some Deoxiting) and take the Kenwood to work.
 
I own both, and while the KR-7600 is still fresher and fully working, the KR-7600 as it is is found inferiour sounding to a fully refurbished KA-6000 which is more similar to the KR-6160. So probably the KR-6160 has the potential to be the better sounding unit. When fully serviced.
 
My recapped KR-6160 sounds good, a bit warm as it has cap-coupled output. I bought it as I liked the look of the 2120-4140-5150-6160 series and the KR-6160 was the most powerful.

The downsides of the KR-6160, for me, are:
  • A slider for balance. I hate sliders.
  • A MIC input on the front, with a pot for MIC volume, that is ALWAYS on. That isn't cool as that circuit has noise at this age. I'll disconnect it next time I'm in there.
  • The FM reception is good, but it wanders. I don't have much experience aligning FM and I'll have to rebuild the FM and MPX circuits eventually.
  • The build inside is sturdy, but it is chaotic. Really hard to work on it. Not as bad as a KA-9100, but not neat and tidy like the 9100, either.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom