• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kenwood KR-77 with a weak left channel

Mikethenewb

Constantly Driven to Learn and Create
What would you recommend I do with a vintage Kenwood KR-77 with a weak left channel. Should I recap the entire unit? Is there another potential source for this problem that might not require an entire recap?
 
Register to hide this ad
A ton of known bad 2SC458's in that thing and others. Replace those for starters. Could be a lot of things, including caps. Controls all clean?
 
Controls and switches are the first thing to fix (clean). "Tape-monitor" switches, function selectors, speaker selectors, loudness switch, all them use to introduce imbalances, specially those you never use. Move them all, a lot of times, then start with the electronics.

In my amp I had a weird freq response in one channel, it was a combination of "loudness" and "high filter" switches modifying the response.
 
Back
Top Bottom