• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kenwood KR9600 etc opinions

DLesan

New Member
I have an opportunity to pick up the following equipment and was wondering what everyone's opinions of the equipment.

Kenwood KR9600 receiver
Kenwood KD 2055 turntable
AKAI GXC-706D cassette deck
Pioneer SG9500graphic equalizer

I haven't seen the equipment yet but am being told everything is in good working order, or at least was the last time it was used. I've done a little research and the Kenwood KR9600 looks very impressive but may be too much for my Klipsch KG4s, which are currently being driven very nicely with my 25W Marantz 2225. Should I "rescue" the 9600? The other pieces? What do you think they are worth?

Any comments are appreciated.
Thanks - Dave
 
Register to hide this ad
The KR-9600 is a very nice sounding unit but I sold mine for a price I could not resist.
The output transistors on these receivers are NLA but if they are still functioning AKer Echowars has a prescribed maintenance procedure to keep them truckin'.
 
Well, just because it was working the "last time" it was used doesn't mean it will. If that is so the KR9600 can be expensive to fix. In working order they sell for $350+.

The KD-2055 is a basic belt drive turntable, I think it's semi-automatic. People tend to pay decent money for them as the plinths are heavy. But, for myself I would not pay more than $75 for it and it better be in very good-excellent condition.

Akai will need new belt as it's probably well aged, not worth much.

The Pioneer EQ is quite nice, 10 band. Don't know the market value but they are nice EQs.

So, in the end it depends on the asking price of the package.
 
I'm pop on them Dave, the Pioneer EQ is really a nice piece. I have the 9800 SG and it's amazing. The Kenwood is a nice buy regardless and at that price a win win. I'd snag it just to play with it, once you're bored you can get rid of it easy. The cassette and the TT I'm not to up to date on, but snag the 9600/9500.
 
I would agree with Galaxie. I jump on the EQ and KR9600 if they're in working order and if you need a turntable the KD-2055 isn't bad, but if you can get it cheaper that would be a plus as it needs a new belt and possibly a stylus.
 
I've heard the Kenwood. And that is a very nice unit. I own the Pioneer EQ and have to agree that that is also a nice piece.

The rest I am not familiar with, but looks like others above are!

cnh2
 
Back
Top Bottom