• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kenwood KX-1060 vs. Marantz 5030B

High_Noon

Active Member
I am attempting to decide between the two. I had a Kenwood KX-1060 back in the day and it was a fantastic deck, but it's long gone. I found another in great condition that was serviced, cleaned and had the belts replaced. I am also looking at a Marantz 5030B, which has been similarly serviced but will likely be a bit more expensive.

Which would you choose and why?

Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
Do you have any of the matching pieces for either?

I have a Kenwood KX-1030, well four actually lol, but only one in service. It's a nice deck but not on par with my Nak or Teac, but it does match the other gear in my Kenwood silver stack bedroom system.
20211120_193401.jpg
 
I have a Kenwood KT-7500. No other matching pieces. As I'm sure you know, the KX-1060 is a 3-head deck.

I'd like to get a Kenwood KA-9100 one day.
 
Last edited:
I have a Kenwood KT-7500. No other matching pieces. As I'm sure you know, the KX-1060 is a 3-head deck.

I'd like to get a Kenwood KA-9100 one day.

The KX-1030 was their TOTL deck in it's time, it's also a 3head deck with calibration.

The other Kenwood pieces are a KA-7300 and matching KT-7300, the rack handles were extra.

If not familiar with the KA-7300 it's quite nice. The clean architectural layout of it's true dual mono design paying obvious homage to the legendary Supreme 600.
kenKA7300.jpg

6debaf45375b391120f0064318b834aa.jpg
 
Last edited:
Indeed. Very nice.

I will try to make a deal at $400.00 including shipping on that KX-1060 I've got my eye on.

I bet that Marantz 5030B will sell for around $600.00.
 
I made my decision last night and ordered the Kenwood KX-1060, which has been serviced, has new belts, lamps, etc. The other KX-1060 had not been serviced, had the incorrect toggle power switch and the seller would not accept returns if there was a problem. The Marantz 5030B, although very nice, looked to have worn heads, but it was serviced by the seller.

I paid a bit more that I wanted to - $350.00 + $60.00 shipping + that infernal flea-bay tax, but I've been on the look out for one of these in excellent condition for many years. I plan to use it to listen to my old cassette tapes (many of which were recorded on my KX-1060 back in the day) and to record cassette tapes for my nephew, who will be a sophomore in HS.

I think the show Stranger Things got him interested in cassettes. I bought him an old Sony Walkman, which he loved, but the belt broke shortly after. I ordered a new belt from England and when it finally arrived, I had him help me install it. I told him that if he was interested in using this vintage equipment that it would behoove him to learn how to work on them and make basic repairs. I also set him up with an old 13" CRT TV and a VCR, which he loves. He went to the Movie Trading Company and bought a bunch of VHS tapes for .99 ea. All-in-all he's pretty fired up.

I look forward to receiving my "new" Kenwood KX-1060 and I will report back on its operation.

Next is a turntable & receiver for my 13-yr old daughter. I already have a Yamaha CR-240 receiver, which I had serviced for her, and the old Cerwin Vega D3 speakers I had in college. I'm on the lookout for a good automatic turntable for her, but I may give her my old Dual 1225, but maybe a more modern TT would be better for her - not sure yet.
 
Last edited:
I have owned a marantz 5030 it was a nice looking deck but couldn't compete with my kenwood kx-2060 as far as sound quality on playback
 
Back
Top Bottom