• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kenwood KX-620 cassette deck playing loud at low volume

Aaron S

Member
Hi all. I just picked this deck up. It was making a high pitch squeal when playing at first, and the left VU meter was maxing out. I was able to correct this by spraying deoxit in the record play switches and working the record button a number of times. I also replaced the drive belt, cleaned and relubed all kinds of rolly thingies (technical term...also man, cassette decks are way more complicated than most turntables I've worked on), and will replace the other three belts when they arrive. Should be any day now.

Anyhow, it sounded pretty bad before all this, kinda warbly and distorted, but is sounding pretty good now. The issues, at least I think it is an issue, is that it seems to be pretty loud at low volume. I'm running it through a Kenwood KR-6050. The VU meters on the cassette deck are also getting into the red a good bit at this low volume. Any thoughts? I'm planning on trying another round of deoxit on the record play switches. Maybe they're still gunked up? Anything else obvious I might've missed? This is my first time delving into a cassette deck refurb.
 
Register to hide this ad
Have you tried other pre recorded tapes? I thought it might sound as though the tape was recorded with high bias meaning that maybe the previous person recorded the tape with the record volumes maxed out. :dunno:
 
Hmm…it wasn’t a pre recorded tape. It was a Dylan tape, “Good as I Been to You.” Maybe my system is just cranked to 11.
Have you tried other pre recorded tapes? I thought it might sound as though the tape was recorded with high bias meaning that maybe the previous person recorded the tape with the record volumes maxed out. :dunno:[/QUOTE
 
Back
Top Bottom