• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kenwood LS-403a Speakers

MRPowers

Vinyl Happy :-)
I need help with a set of Kenwood LS-403a speakers. I picked them up online for $10, I couldn't pass them up. I have the larger LS-408 speakers and love them so why not get these. I know they won't compare but fun to restore anyway.
Both woofers are good but need to be re-foamed. Kit on the way. The one tweeter is original and blown. There was no crossover inside. The other speaker has a replacement tweeter and has a strange crossover setup. Connected to the back panel is an 8uf 50v. It had the glue on it so, i think this is original, it's then connected to a 5w 2ohn ceramic resistor, then to what looks like a newer 4uf cap then to the speaker.

I read a few thread and one person has just 1 4.7uf in line with the tweeter.

What was the correct setup for this speaker?


1768355697751.png1768355742222.png
 
Register to hide this ad
That is one pair I regret selling. Kinda, anywho...

Didn't take the time to reduce the excessive port chuffing at higher volume,....needed a velocity stack...lol.

@ MRPowers

Sorry,...I didn't take notes when I recapped my pair.....
 
Update on the speaker restore.

I did the woofer re-foam. Luckily the drivers were good. The original Kenwood tweeter was toast. The other was a Radio Shack replacement, good but low quality. I upgraded both tweeters to A484s. Although one metal tweeter grill was missing, I just took it off the other.

The speaker with the weird crossover setup looked mostly original, as the 8uF cap and 2 ohm resistor had the original glue on it. I pulled out the 4.7uF connected in line. I put it together and it actually sounds pretty good.

The other speaker with missing crossover, I added the 4.7uF in line with the tweeter minus the 2 ohm resistor. This seems a little brighter, and I like it.

I'm going to order 2 new 4.7uF caps and call it done.

My quick review of these Kenwood LS-403B speakers is quite nice. Of course with an 8" woofer, no driving low end but overall I think they sound well rounded.
 
Back
Top Bottom