• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kenwood Supreme (500/600/650/700) informal user's group?

Allright, Finally The Kenwood 600 is up and running. I notice the preamp board number on my kenny (x08-1560-10) did not match the number shown on the servie manuel (X08-1470-01). Actually they are pretty different from each other. Any thoughts? I am also still experencing problems with the power amp section of the 600. after running for about an hour or so, it would burn a couple of resistors. Is this because of the current Bias setting or the fact that i used cheap NTE replacement transistors in place of the sanken 2sc747a and 2sc1116A. what do dyou guys think of NTE transistors? should i look for something else (brand)?
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0069.jpg
    DSC_0069.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 66
KENWOOD 700 Series serial numbers?

I once saw a thread on the 700 srial no.'s.......Not sure if anyone is keeping track but I'll do my part.I own 6 pieces in all.....
I have 3 700m power amps-one is a dual voltage and the other 2 are tagged as Kenwood Magnasonic Canada
 
Last edited:
KENWOOD 700 Series serial numbers?

I once saw a thread on the 700 srial no.'s.......Not sure if anyone is keeping track but I'll do my part.I own 6 pieces in all.....
I have 3 700m power amps-one is a dual voltage and the other 2 are tagged as Kenwood Magnasonic Canada
 
Last edited:
Trio ka-9300

here's the Japanese version of the SUPREME 600, aka TRIO KA-9300

DSC_0341-1.jpg


DSC_0205.jpg
 
Last edited:
got lucky and found a 700c for sale a couple of months ago.
It's not easy finding one of these beauties over here :banana:

in my opinion it already sounds pretty good stock; makes me curious how much better things can get with the EW modifications :scratch2:

dsc1909.jpg
 
got lucky and found a 700c for sale a couple of months ago.
It's not easy finding one of these beauties over here :banana:

"Not easy" is an understatement! Have you ever seen other Supreme gear in Norway?
I got my 700C a couple of years ago, and almost got a heart attack when I saw another for sale.
 
got lucky and found a 700c for sale a couple of months ago.
It's not easy finding one of these beauties over here :banana:

in my opinion it already sounds pretty good stock; makes me curious how much better things can get with the EW modifications :scratch2:

Welcome to AK and the Supreme club, she's a beauty!

Scott
 
just finished polishing the male pins on the PC boards, and i must admit i was quite shocked to see how dirty they were, considering how clean everything else looked.

i forgot to listen to it before cleaning, so its impossible to tell if it sounds any different, but at least its good to know that there are no dirty connectors messing up the sound ;)
 
got lucky and found a 700c for sale a couple of months ago.
It's not easy finding one of these beauties over here :banana:

in my opinion it already sounds pretty good stock; makes me curious how much better things can get with the EW modifications :scratch2:



That's a beauty! :yes: :drool:
 
Last edited:
Hello everyone! I'm an accidental new owner of a Kenwood 500. A friend of mine gave it to me because he was moving into a smaller condo with his girlfriend - I think he got it from his aunt, who lived in rural Ontario. I found this thread through google, and was surprised how highly sought after it is. I knew it was a tube amp, but not that people were so crazy about this particular model. I'm pretty much a total newb at this so I have no idea how well it's still working. I read somewhere here about someone's neighbour blowing out the speakers on their system by turning it up halfway - I turn mine up past that level just to get a normal sound level. Maybe I misunderstood what he was saying. Still, it sounds way better than my previous JVC mini system. I've got it hooked up to my Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 set.

So far I've just used it for playing audio off my laptop, but I want to hook it up to a record player to see if it performs better.

Here are a couple of pictures - sorry for the poor quality. Priorities now are to get it the hell out from under my desk, give the faceplate a cleaning, and open it up to see how clean it is inside.

I seem to have a knack for accidentally acquiring decent vintage stereo equipment. A couple of years ago I was working for 1-800-GOT-JUNK? and scored a Rega Planar 2. Wish I hadn't sold that to my audio nut boss now, they'd be a pretty good combo.

vTU4O.jpg


dYvcj.jpg
 
I knew it was a tube amp

Not a tube amp, it's solid state.

Still it's a very nice amp and welcome to AK! :wave:

I'm pretty much a total newb at this so I have no idea how well it's still working. I turn mine up past that level just to get a normal sound level.

If you listened to it with the switch just to the right of the volume knob (called the attenuator) in that postion, it would sound low in volume.

That switch is a selective muting switch. You have it set at the -15 db setting.

Turn the volume all the way down, flip that switch up to the 0 db point and then raise the volume and let us know how it sounds after that.

Scott
 
Not a tube amp, it's solid state.

Whoops!

If you listened to it with the switch just to the right of the volume knob (called the attenuator) in that postion, it would sound low in volume.

That switch is a selective muting switch. You have it set at the -15 db setting.

Turn the volume all the way down, flip that switch up to the 0 db point and then raise the volume and let us know how it sounds after that.

Scott

That makes a huge difference. Sounds way better!
 
Back
Top Bottom