• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Killer Accuphase P300

After listening to Enrico Rava's third man album on ECM.......this amplifier after 35 hours burn in is the best amplifier I have ever heard.
So it's better than those huge monoblocks of yours? It drives your speakers with ease? Sure looks sweet and I'm looking at a couple of them now.
 
So it's better than those huge monoblocks of yours? It drives your speakers with ease? Sure looks sweet and I'm looking at a couple of them now.

Duff....

Nothing sounds better than 16 300B's.....I was comparing it to my VAC 70/70 and the P300 still comes close.....A great tube amp has the ability to convey a tonal richness and presence that I have never heard in a SS amp. This P300 is the best solid state amp I have heard. It has every thing my VAC's have except it sounds lean in comparison...if that makes sense. Very few amplifiers can create a religous experience....The VAC 140's must be close to god...my P300 is still on the trail....but it only has 100 hours on it....as the sound will improve for another 300 hours. The VAC's have about 30 hours on the new tubes....so it will also improve....egads these are treasures.

Oh...and yes this P300 is better than my SS mono blocks.....better in every respect except maybe in power only when dealing with a tremoundous power peek. I popped the top on these blocks and they are voiced with Aerovox caps....very analytical sounding with a lean bass and soft highs.....cannot compare to the voicing of black gates...creates a tremendous amount of air and a soundstage to die for...tonal quality is very very good.
 
Amps look great man, I am envious of that setup... maybe not envious but curious! I would love to hear all that sweet gear.

Evan
 
I would love to see how those filter cap are mounted. Are those cap come with mounting hardware? and you just drill four new holes and screw them to the new holes?
 
Those M-lytics are beautiful. I've allways wondered how Accuphase gear sounds. I've had a lot of good fortune in the last couple of years, but no Accuphase yet.
 
Those M-lytics are beautiful. I've allways wondered how Accuphase gear sounds. I've had a lot of good fortune in the last couple of years, but no Accuphase yet.

They sure are..as when I pulled them their shipping box I was really impressed. Not much actual info on them yet....they cost a small fortune. I have read opinions that Sikorel's are even better....but I have had great luck with Mundorf products. Everybody should own a Accuphase....the vintage Acc's are the "buy" in seperates vintage electronics....IMHO.

I hooked up the P300 yesterday as I am waiting on some spare 300B's. Tonight the P300 sounds really great as I think it is still burning in....Excellant balance.....a transparency that is stunning.....I really like the sound as it is more intimate than my VAC's. The biggest improvement is the inner detail that it produces....amazing....the soundstage is right up there too.
 
Thanks for posting your experiences with your P300. I purchased the C200/P300 combo probably over a year ago and have never used them. Started recapping the C200, bought 47K/80V PS caps for the P300, and that's as far as I got. Your thread gives me inspiration to tear into these units and gitrdun this fall/winter.

Question, are you using your C200 with your P300? and if so have you recapped /refurbed your C200?
 
I have a friend who is a very experienced tech and has recapped and repaired dozens of Vintage solid state amplifiers. He has always been skeptical of boutique caps but decided recently to put Black Gates in the output board of one of his Sansui's. He was very impressed with the results. He said the imaging became more lifelike and transparent. He also found the 300 hour burn in to be very real. His description was that the mids were a little cold and subdued till about the 200 hour mark and they really fleshed out from that point forward.

I had a similar experience with Teflon caps on my newly refurbished Eico amplifier. Somewhere at about 175 hours the mids really opened up. It was burning in in my shop and I had been working in there for several hours (happily), when it suddenly became very apparent. It was not subtle. :yes:
 
Thanks for posting your experiences with your P300. I purchased the C200/P300 combo probably over a year ago and have never used them. Started recapping the C200, bought 47K/80V PS caps for the P300, and that's as far as I got. Your thread gives me inspiration to tear into these units and gitrdun this fall/winter.

Question, are you using your C200 with your P300? and if so have you recapped /refurbed your C200?

Gibsonian....I have 2 C200's...one recapped with Nichicon fine gold and the other being done now with Black gates.

I have always thought the C200 was one of the top SS preamps ever made. My tech agrees...the design and build quality are of cost no object....and the sound quality does not make me disagree....especially listening to my Nichicon version....with every system upgrade I have made recently..cables,dac,amplifiers ect....I can immediately tell a difference..it is not subtle at all.....straight wire with gain. I can't imagine how the Black gate version will sound. My P300 is a hammer in a velvet glove... a great combination.
 
I have a friend who is a very experienced tech and has recapped and repaired dozens of Vintage solid state amplifiers. He has always been skeptical of boutique caps but decided recently to put Black Gates in the output board of one of his Sansui's. He was very impressed with the results. He said the imaging became more lifelike and transparent. He also found the 300 hour burn in to be very real. His description was that the mids were a little cold and subdued till about the 200 hour mark and they really fleshed out from that point forward.

I had a similar experience with Teflon caps on my newly refurbished Eico amplifier. Somewhere at about 175 hours the mids really opened up. It was burning in in my shop and I had been working in there for several hours (happily), when it suddenly became very apparent. It was not subtle. :yes:

Is that experience right on...I have about 125 hours and it is closed....but still I am hearing great inner detail,transparency,soundstage,balance,lifelike tonal qualities..ect. In my experience when it finally comes in....the sound will be like coming out of thin air....all these attributes will be in perfect harmony with crystal clarity....The amount of air and detail should be fantastic. Of course my speakers have to be really coherent to achieve this level....but it must be present and the way the amplifier treats the signal is of utmost importance. Black Gates parent company claimed distortion levels reduced to 1/1000th of normal..by their patened design....I wonder why they decided to sease production. 300 to 400 hours seems to be the consensus....thanks for the info.
 
I have about 200+ hours on this now.....really improved....smooth,crystal clear,ability to produce the soundstage with realism....volume of space and depth....ambience. The best thing it has developed a great deal of slam in the bass. Also this amp has a ton of air.....Very happy....:music:

A clean P300 just went for 475 on ebay.....anybody here snag it?
 
I have about 200+ hours on this now.....really improved....smooth,crystal clear,ability to produce the soundstage with realism....volume of space and depth....ambience. The best thing it has developed a great deal of slam in the bass. Also this amp has a ton of air.....Very happy....:music:

A clean P300 just went for 475 on ebay.....anybody here snag it?

I am sitting here after listening to the Acc for about 3 hours....the comment I made above was last nights impressions.....Tonight all that air I mentioned...crystalised into energy. The amp transformed itself....My Vac 140's have a immediacy like what I 'm hearing. I have the volume control(C200) set just above 9'oclock....9:15 and the energy that fills the room reminds me of a live recording down at the Plush Room in S.F.....Can it compare to amps that cost 20X as much.....I've got them sitting right below this amp...and I can't beleive I am thinking about it. I knew that air was going to move foward....I just didn't know how much.....Just a big stunning liquid midrange....and a concert grand feels like a concert grand.
 
Sorry to not get it. In this reference, heavily clothed in pseudo-scientific mumbo-jumbo are purely subjective listening conclusions. Perhaps my knowlege of electrical theory prevents me from hearing my power cords. For me, it's about listening to music. Your audio types are eating the menu instaead of the meal. phil

If you need an explanation, you might not understand it, if one was given...

but yes, sometimes focusing on stuff instead of just enjoying it is not fun.
 
Help !!! instruction/owners manual of C200 and P300

Hello all
I search the instruction/owners manual of Accuphase C200 and P300
thank you
( I'm sorry but my English is not good. I am French but I treat myself :yes:)
soslindo@free.fr
 
Hello
Not sure if anyone is still reading this thread, since it is very old, but I was wondering if the pics of the P-300 that were apparently attached to this thread are still available somewhere. I don't see them, even though I'm logged in. Have they maybe been archived or purged?

Received a C-200 last week and waiting for my P-300 to arrive (both bought from a fellow AK member).
I'm very interested in the pics of this project, if anyone still has them.

Many thanks in advance,
Dan
 
Back
Top Bottom