• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

KLH 23 Crossover resistor/switch problem/question

Bklynbass

Member
I recently purchased a set of KLH 23s that, unsurprisingly needed to have the caps replaced. This morning I changed the cap in one speaker successfully... It was suddenly putting out about 50% more sound across the whole spectrum. Success!!

BUT... when I went to change the cap on the next speaker, the solder tab on the rotary switch that attaches to both the 8 ohm resistor and the capacitor broke off. Drag.

There are 8, 4, and 10 ohm resistors to select when choosing "increase", "normal" or "decrease" from the attenuator switch.

My question is: which resistor(s) corresponds to which setting? Are they additive? From what I can tell, it looks as if "increase" is the 8 ohm resistor, "normal" is 4 ohm (or perhaps 8 plus 4), and "decrease" is 6 ohm (or 8 plus 4 plus 6). Rather than try to find a new rotary switch, I could forgo the "decrease" setting as I have no use for that one.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Select the best position on the good speaker then hard wire both the same, bypassing the switch altogether.
 
Is there any part of the tab remaining at all so you can solder the cap and resistor leads to the stump?
You can also post a wtb thread in BT for a replacement if you want to keep it as original as possible.
Glenn
 
I bypassed the switch and it sounds good, but not quite the same volume level as the other one. I've already ordered a complete set of crossovers from eBay for $20 (probably too much) and will swap out the new switch for the old one.... Thanks for the help!
 
I bypassed the switch and it sounds good, but not quite the same volume level as the other one. I've already ordered a complete set of crossovers from eBay for $20 (probably too much) and will swap out the new switch for the old one.... Thanks for the help!
I would have done the same. Fair price and you'll have some extra parts!
 
Back
Top Bottom