• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

KLH 33 - Anybody know about these??

Bauhausler

Rational Subjectivist
I picked these up at a garage sale for probably too much money. They're walnut cabs about 23 X 10 X 13. The usual KLH suspects for drivers, plus a port. Haven't tried them out yet.
Anybody know what these sound like??
 

Attachments

  • Dsc07510.jpg
    Dsc07510.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 105
  • Dsc07511.jpg
    Dsc07511.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 423
Register to hide this ad
How about you plug them in and tell us how they sound? They look like other KLH speakers, and I never heard any that sounded bad.
 
How about you plug them in and tell us how they sound? They look like other KLH speakers, and I never heard any that sounded bad.

That's next, and I would have by now except for a lack of appropriate speaker space adjacent to wires. In the last week I also brought home JBL 4408s and DCM CX-17s. I shipped out some JBL L200s and a pair of Altec Model Ones, but there's still a space crunch.
 
I'll have to look up the pix of my old Model 17s. These look like the same drivers. Those sounded outstanding. I imagine these are just a bit more extended in the bass.

(later)
Here's a pic of the 17s. Looks like it might be the same drivers.

I think I'll recap the 33s before I give them a try-out. The caps in there have to be far too old to be working optimally.
 

Attachments

  • bigger akDsc02123.jpg
    bigger akDsc02123.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 78
I have a pair of KLH 33's also.
Rescued them from the curb.....

One had a bad tweeter--so I replaced the tweets in both speakers with the inverted dome tweeter used in EPI 100's.

Mine sound surprising good.

I believe the model 33 was one of the few old KLH's that are ported.

Good Luck
 
I have a pair of KLH 33's also.
Rescued them from the curb.....

One had a bad tweeter--so I replaced the tweets in both speakers with the inverted dome tweeter used in EPI 100's.

Mine sound surprising good.

I believe the model 33 was one of the few old KLH's that are ported.

Good Luck

Yeah, I've never seen a ported vintage KLH before. That's very unusual for an 'East Coast' speaker.
 
Update;
We have these lashed up to the Accuphase system playing Taj Mahal/Toumani Diabate. This sounds absurdly good. Really far better than it should. I'm sure fresh caps will make a difference, but right now there's really nothing to dislike about this.
LVB is here with me and we're having a little early weekend cocktail as well.
 
IMHO, the 33 is the best-sounding of all the KLH 10" 2-way designs. Just has a "speed" and dynamic WHOP that the others don't quite do.

BTW: for s***s and giggles, you might try substituting in an EPI inverted-dome in place of the original tweeter. It's literally a drop in. Exact same flange size! IMHO, that takes the speaker "to another level"...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
IMHO, the 33 is the best-sounding of all the KLH 10" 2-way designs. Just has a "speed" and dynamic WHOP that the others don't quite do.

BTW: for s***s and giggles, you might try substituting in an EPI inverted-dome in place of the original tweeter. It's literally a drop in. Exact same flange size! IMHO, that takes the speaker "to another level"...

Regards,
Gordon.

Gordon;
Thanks for the information. We listened to these for a bit and were quite surprised at how lively and realistic they are.
The EPI tweeter substitute seems like a common recommendation for KLH speakers. I was looking at these and thinking there had to be a better tweeter available than this paper cone behind a grille. I'll keep an eye peeled for a pair of EPI or Epicure units so I can see what that's like. Maybe I should look around for 2 pairs. I pair of AR4x arrived here on Saturday with one dead tweeter and I'll bet the EPI unit would work well in those as well.
 
IMHO, the 33 is the best-sounding of all the KLH 10" 2-way designs. Just has a "speed" and dynamic WHOP that the others don't quite do.

BTW: for s***s and giggles, you might try substituting in an EPI inverted-dome in place of the original tweeter. It's literally a drop in. Exact same flange size! IMHO, that takes the speaker "to another level"...

Regards,
Gordon.

I bought a pair of KLH 33's for $20 and sold the KLH tweeters for $20 and put in some FREE EPI inverted dome tweeters and I have one of the best sounding vintage speakers in the house (along with EPI 100, AR4x, Advent/1, Epicure 20+). Need to put in new caps and refinish the cabs and these will be keepers for a long time. Played some jazz and soft rock on them with a 10 wpc tube amp and they sound FANTASTIC!!! :music:
 
Gordon,

If dropping in the inverted dome tweets to various KLH's or AR's is there any crossover modification needed? Thanks!:scratch2:
 
Back
Top Bottom