• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

KLH 4/Four - What do you think?

Tim D

Super Member
I've got a line on a pair of KLH Four's with tweeters that aren't outputting. The seller is asking more than I would pay at $200.00. Any thoughts on the value of these rare model KLH? Any opinions on the sound and value?

These are one of the models with the sealed drivers, so they are hard to work on. I recently refurb'd a set of KLH Sixes with sealed drivers, so I'm not afraid of them. Another interesting fact is that they are 16 ohm. Any thoughts on that too?
 
Register to hide this ad
Way too much. If you're unlucky and it's not just a crossover issue you have basically thrown out $200 because you will probably never find the correct replacement tweeters. Even if they were 100% working $200 is a lot of money for a relatively obscure model that is difficult to work on.
 
I had a pair. Not bad sounding, but, at the same time, plenty of speakers are pretty clearly better, including the 6s and the original Advents, both of which you can find for less money in excellent condition. Rarity is not the equivalent of excellence, and if you have to dramatically change the item to make it usable, rarity is irrelevant. Getting into the speakers will require cutting out a large hunk of the back, reducing value significantly.
Check, though, to make sure the issue isn't just that the tweeter connectors aren't missing. That might be the problem, but even if so, the price is way too high.
 
Thanks guys. All good info. I was thinking some of the same things, but the rarity was tempting. I can do the cross-overs. I had a sealed KLH Six that I did. The real concern for me is price and if any of the drivers are bad. Those tweets are sealed in.
 
There are plenty of rare things that are rare because they weren't very good so no one bought them, and those that did, didn't save them. That's not the Fours, but it speaks to the fallacy that rarety equals desireability. I believe I sold mine for thirty or forty dollars.
 
You guys convinced me. I'm going to stay put and enjoy my sixes. Something else will come along. It always does.
 
There's a whole thread on a model four rebuild. Maybe it was a Biggles build? Whoever did it, they looked great!
 
Back
Top Bottom