• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

KLH 6 tweeter question

+1.

I love the Sixes and I like the older ones just because they are more "vintage" and go a bit deeper due to the longer excursion of the epoxied woofers.
I guess with easy driver removal comes compromise. But, I don’t envy the work you need to do to refurb an epoxied set of drivers.
 
I have some 6s that I recently picked up.Even with a bad tweeter and one non original tweeter they sounded very good.
 
My favorite vintage two ways.
Once done, you'll have a big chit eatin grin on your face!
How are the cabs and grills?
Cheers,Glenn
 
I’ll get some before and after pics up as soon as I get started on them. Grills are in great shape, some dents in the cabs edges but nothing that affects the sound.
 
You will be happy with the sound..
I have two pairs of model six speakers, i still need to recap the mint pair and refinish the cab on the capped pare.
Side by side with the re capped set they are almost the same in sound.
At least the second pair is the newer cabinet without the Epoxy peanut brittle.:thumbsup:
 
Ok, now I am confused. Have a look at these photos. I don't see the same crossover or caps I have seen in other 6's on this forum. Is this normal? Is there anything else I need to do with them other then button them up and seal the woofers?

IMG_1105.JPGIMG_2427.JPGIMG_3987.JPGIMG_7302.JPG
 
I started another thread for the caps, seems to be sorted out at least as to how to proceed. Ended up combining the two 2uF's and replaced the exiting cap with it. Still don't know why these 6's crossovers don't look like the others I've seen in AK but I guess it is what it is. Here are some pics of the finished product.

IMG_3216.JPG IMG_2278.JPG
 
Very nice, they'll probably bury me with mine. On mine the cabs were ugly as sin when I got them, almost not worth saving. I went ahead and spent way to many hours restoring the cabs. It was well worth the effort though, one of the best two ways ever. Enjoy
 
No, not definitely not what was pictured. What this crossover lacked, that most of the others I've seen had, was the dual 4uF (8uF) cap(s). It had just a single packaged dual 2uF cap... Thats what has been throwing me off. I ended up replacing it with 2 x 2uF caps as pictured below. In reading a bit from the web since I posted, there might have been a change towards the later model 6's lifetime where they changed the crossover design. I'm not sure though.
IMG_7302.JPG
IMG_2474.JPG
 
Last edited:
The supposed "mystic" sound was what really prompted me to finish the project. One has been finished and I hope to open the other one today or perhaps this weekend. The only downside the that the pair are not matched. One is walnut and the other is blonde.

When paired with a single AR-2ax, i wasn't that impressed with the sound. Maybe i need to have them working as a pair to realize the full potential.

Sounds like a very cool pair. It's trendy to have mismatched shoes or socks. Why not speakers?
 
Back
Top Bottom