• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

KLH 9s, yikes!

To those who have been fortunate enough to hear them, do these have the small sweet spot I associate with Magnepans? I believe a set of these, maybe this set has listed on CL in Maine off and on for the last year or two.
 
I have been wanting to get some stats, but I would need bass. How are these compared to the Specras? I do like dynamics and thinking of selling my 2.3tl Polks.

as far as bass extension, or dynamics, they don't do as well as Spectras, but they arguably have slightly airier highs, and more midrange detail... over all, a leaner sound, more like Martin Logan CLSs, or Acoustat 1+1s, than the big Acoustats like Spectra 22s, or 33s IMO.

If you are looking for dynamics &/or big bass impact, they would need subs. Really, if that's what you're looking for, Acoustats are a better bet, they have a warmer balance and play louder without much chance of damage.
 
To those who have been fortunate enough to hear them, do these have the small sweet spot I associate with Magnepans? I believe a set of these, maybe this set has listed on CL in Maine off and on for the last year or two.

The 9s have a smaller sweet spot than Maggies (similar to wide, pre-Spectra, Acoustats), but I think the tweeter is smoother on the KLHs, and their imaging is better as well, so I think it's worth keeping still.
 
KLH Nines

I traveled to Maine picked them up and now they share a home with my JansZen zA2.1, and SoundLab A-3. This is my third pair since the early '70's. The first 2 pair where damaged and/or taken apart by 'friends' while I lived in Calif.(I presently live in NYC)

I love them and I power them with either a Futterman H-3a or Accuphase P-300. I also ran the 2nd set with a Nad 20w receiver for a year or so, they sounded lush, but lacked the refinements of the better amps driving them.

I have read so many opinions on or about the Nines by people here and in other places and while some ring true, other opinions seems like a regurgitating or paraphrasing of what others have said seemingly with out actually experiencing the Nines first hand. But all in all for the years I did have them they proved to be reliable as with the Futterman which is 42 yrs. old.

I am going to replace the selenium diodes with 1N4007 recommended by both Dr.Close and David JansZen.

I have run the 1st pair with the Futterman which I picked up along with them in 1972. I still use the same Futterman today. Its been a strong amp despite the abuse I gave it at times. Those Nines where taken apart by people subletting my NYC apt while I was in Calif. for a few years. I picked up a 2nd pair of Nines from a chap in Texas in the 80's but I damaged them with moving to a different living location. I dismantled the Nines keeping the bass panels, tweeters and after depotting, the transformers since they were not damaged. So now that I have another set, in case I ever need replacement drivers, I'm all set.
 
KLH Nines

I traveled to Maine picked them up and now they share a home with my JansZen zA2.1, and SoundLab A-3. This is my third pair since the early '70's. The first 2 pair where damaged and/or taken apart by 'friends' while I lived in Calif.(I presently live in NYC)

I love them and I power them with either a Futterman H-3a or Accuphase P-300. I also ran the 2nd set with a Nad 20w receiver for a year or so, they sounded lush, but lacked the refinements of the better amps driving them.

I have read so many opinions on or about the Nines by people here and in other places and while some ring true, other opinions seems like a regurgitating or paraphrasing of what others have said seemingly with out actually experiencing the Nines first hand. But all in all for the years I did have them they proved to be reliable as with the Futterman which is 42 yrs. old.

I am going to replace the selenium diodes with 1N4007 recommended by both Dr.Close and David JansZen.

I have run the 1st pair with the Futterman which I picked up along with them in 1972. I still use the same Futterman today. Its been a strong amp despite the abuse I gave it at times. Those Nines where taken apart by people subletting my NYC apt while I was in Calif. for a few years. I picked up a 2nd pair of Nines from a chap in Texas in the 80's but I damaged them with moving to a different living location. I dismantled the Nines keeping the bass panels, tweeters and after depotting, the transformers since they were not damaged. So now that I have another set, in case I ever need replacement drivers, I'm all set.
 
I traveled to Maine picked them up and now they share a home with my JansZen zA2.1, and SoundLab A-3. This is my third pair since the early '70's. The first 2 pair where damaged and/or taken apart by 'friends' while I lived in Calif.(I presently live in NYC)

I love them and I power them with either a Futterman H-3a or Accuphase P-300. I also ran the 2nd set with a Nad 20w receiver for a year or so, they sounded lush, but lacked the refinements of the better amps driving them.

I have read so many opinions on or about the Nines by people here and in other places and while some ring true, other opinions seems like a regurgitating or paraphrasing of what others have said seemingly with out actually experiencing the Nines first hand. But all in all for the years I did have them they proved to be reliable as with the Futterman which is 42 yrs. old.

I am going to replace the selenium diodes with 1N4007 recommended by both Dr.Close and David JansZen.

I have run the 1st pair with the Futterman which I picked up along with them in 1972. I still use the same Futterman today. Its been a strong amp despite the abuse I gave it at times. Those Nines where taken apart by people subletting my NYC apt while I was in Calif. for a few years. I picked up a 2nd pair of Nines from a chap in Texas in the 80's but I damaged them with moving to a different living location. I dismantled the Nines keeping the bass panels, tweeters and after depotting, the transformers since they were not damaged. So now that I have another set, in case I ever need replacement drivers, I'm all set.


Wow! I recall reading (and still own) "Understanding Tube Electronics" by Harvey Rosenberg. That Futterman with the Nines must sound absolutely beautiful! Surprising to me is that JansZen (as well as David) is still around. I marveled over them back in the day. The ones you own are gorgeous. Any pics of the ELS and the Futterman?
 
Nines and more Nines of all kinds?


I have posted this shot before; look real closely...


http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/s/f/1300153616.jpg

WOW!!! That's better than the "Wall of KEF"! Nice!

Borat-VeryNice.gif
 
Nice on the Nines and futterman classic good -competitive with most anything today.

I run my futterman with Beveridges and Quad Esl and 63's .....
 
Back
Top Bottom