• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

KLH Model 5 Woofer Issue

gbroot

Super Member
The wife and I went back to New Mexico this holiday weekend to pick up some things we had left last November when we moved to Arkansas. My beloved KLH 5's were among them. Unfortunately my son (whom we're renting our home to) took the liberty to pull my 5's out of storage and use them with an underpowered 80's pioneer rack system. He did confide in me that the 5's developed a "Buzzing issue in one of the speakers". We rolled back into our place in Arkansas this evening and I hooked them up to an SX-626. For sure one woofer appears to have major issues producing distorted, unclear sound. :tears: Am I hosed? or can this be fixed? :yes: :no: Anyone have a woofer out of a 23 or 5 they'd be willing to let loose of?? :D Only partially joking!

Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
I was under the impression that an under powered amp/receiver could cause clipping frying the tweeter, not usually causing woofer damage.
Hmmmm.....
 
I was under the impression that an under powered amp/receiver could cause clipping frying the tweeter, not usually causing woofer damage.
Hmmmm.....

You know, you're right. I was in a bit of a fog last night after driving 10 hours yesterday and was not in a good state of mind after hooking these up. To confirm its really a woofer problem, I'll start by swapping them and take it from there. Thanks!
 
I would suggest removing the woofer and inspecting it for physical issues, which might include:

  • a loosened, rubbing coil lead
  • spider damage or separation
  • surround separation

Also, test the dc resistance with a multimeter...this can give you a good idea as to whether or not there is coil damage.

Also, check the crossover to determine if anything has come loose, which could cause buzzing/vibration noise. Might even be as simple as a loose screw on the crossover board or woofer basket.

Good luck. If you have to replace it, you can use a woofer from the 23 or Twelve, as well as another Five. Older ones have round magnet, later version was square...but in my limited experience, they sound the same.
 
I would suggest removing the woofer and inspecting it for physical issues, which might include:

  • a loosened, rubbing coil lead
  • spider damage or separation
  • surround separation

Also, test the dc resistance with a multimeter...this can give you a good idea as to whether or not there is coil damage.

Also, check the crossover to determine if anything has come loose, which could cause buzzing/vibration noise. Might even be as simple as a loose screw on the crossover board or woofer basket.

Good luck. If you have to replace it, you can use a woofer from the 23 or Twelve, as well as another Five. Older ones have round magnet, later version was square...but in my limited experience, they sound the same.

Thanks Cotterdog. I'll certainly check all the above. Incidentally, welcome to AK. What part of Arkansas do you reside?
 
Back
Top Bottom