• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

KLH Model 6 recap but still static, maybe its in the Pioneer VSX-4800

CTennison

New Member
Hello, I recapped my pair of KLH Model 6s as described in the forum. They now sound great, amazing except... there is cut out or crakle just as there was before recap. I have a pair of KLH model 6, Pioneer VSX-4800 and I am routing signal from computer. I feel the computer feed is ok as I never had an issue with computer speakers. I thought the static/cut out problem was with the caps in the speakers but wrong. I was feeding into the phono input and heard the issue. However when I switch RCA lines/input from phono to CD or any of the other inputs the cut out stopped but the the low frequency are is reduced - I think mostly below 200400 Hz judging from response through equalizer. The sound is great but shallow - no cut outs. Does this sound like the tuner? how can I check and maybe fix? I really hope I can get this to work because when it is feeding into phono and not cutting out it sounds soooo sweeeet.
 
Register to hide this ad
Congrats on the KLH recap. Great speakers. Looks like this is an electronic issue with your receiver. I'd advise you repost this thread over in the Solid State forum.

Good luck!
 
Don't you have another pair speakers to substitute?
As suggested by gbroot I probably should have posted this question in another section. I started here because I stumbled on to this page for recap info. Thanks for the speaker tip though. I will try subbing another speaker set. I did not do that already because of my limitations. My substitute speakers will have to be the satellites from my 5.1 system. If it is a problem with the low frequency from the amp, the crossover in the satellite speakers may filter the low frequency signals leaving me with the sound I already get from all inputs other than the phono input and not really giving me any more info than I have now. I will have to see what happens. Another full range set for testing would be optimum but I had not needed them - till now.Thanks
 
It's always good to have a set of test speakers, something small like a pair of Minimus 7's or similar.

Good luck with finding the static source, and keep the pics coming as the Six restoration progresses.
 
Thank you to all. I noticed that when I switched on/off "speaker A" control sound stabilized. So I remembered old Dr. Gross' instruction to fiddle with the potentiometers on the oscilloscopes that had sat on the shelves for a semester as the points tend to oxidize. I got some contact cleaner, canned air, small brush and cleaned the receiver. The static went away...completely (keeping my fingers crossed). Still not sure about the phono vs all other inputs. Now it sounds GREAT on phono but still looses bottom end on all other inputs. Since it sounds so good I am satisfied. Thanks again.
 
Back
Top Bottom