• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Klipsch 4ohm or 8ohm taps

b brian

Well-Known Member
I am buying a pair of Klipsch Forte I this weekend and have seen the spec page at the factory site stating 8ohm, but then see replacement woofer rated at 4ohm.
I am going to be hooking them up to my Knight mono blocks and wondering which tap to use?
If its a 4ohm then use the 4 ohm tap, but if they are 8 ohm then the 8ohm tap. But is there something about Klipsch that you would hook 4ohm to 8ohm taps?
 
Register to hide this ad
The nominal rating of the speaker is 8 ohm. The different drivers and the crossover combine to create the impedance, which actually fluctuates depending on the frequency. My klipsch were rated at 8 ohms but dipped below 3 ohms in the bass frequencies.

I would try it on both taps for a couple of days each and see which you like better. The amp sould be ok with either. The 4 ohm tap may give you less volume but better bass response.
 
No Harm no Foul? No pop, crackle, or smack? No extra heat?
Is it because the Klipsch are so efficient?
 
I have two pairs of Klipsch Cornwalls which are nominally rated at 8 ohms. The bass driver in these units are rated at 4 ohms. However, in a free air setting, the resonance of these drivers causes them to display an impedance of about 6 ohms. When you then add the impedance represented by the series connected crossover network to this value, you get very close to the nominal 8 ohm rating of the total speaker.

Dave
 
I preferred my Fortes on the 4 ohm tap. There werent any extreme differences between the two, so pick your poison ;)
 
When I was setting up my system with the H/K 730 and 4 ohm Infinity Qb, I was warned not to hook up a 8 ohm speaker as well, because of the harm it might do to the H/K
So with the Klipsch will there be less chance of harm to the H/K? Would I be able to run 4 speakers if I want to take the tubes out of the equation?
 
most any tube amp will handle a 4 ohm load. These are nominal ratings...some 'stats can go below 2ohm, dependent upon frequency...some transformers can become unstable in this range. Actually, 8ohm, should give more of a cushion factor...with slightly less output.
 
Sorry for my bad english: I am using NAD 1000S + NAD2100 ON Klipschorn and I preferred to set the NAD to 4 ohms. The bass seems to be wider. Is it just a belief of the mind, or could it be right?

Sto usando NAD 1000S+NAD2100 SU Klipschorn ed ho preferito impostare il NAD a 4 ohm. Sembra che i bassi siano più larghi. È solo una convinzione della mente, oppure potrebbe essere giusto?
 
Sorry for my bad english: I am using NAD 1000S + NAD2100 ON Klipschorn and I preferred to set the NAD to 4 ohms. The bass seems to be wider. Is it just a belief of the mind, or could it be right?

Sto usando NAD 1000S+NAD2100 SU Klipschorn ed ho preferito impostare il NAD a 4 ohm. Sembra che i bassi siano più larghi. È solo una convinzione della mente, oppure potrebbe essere giusto?

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/impedance-selector-switch-1

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-a...or-switch-1/amplifier-and-power-supply-basics
 
Back
Top Bottom