• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Klipsch Forte cracked crossover resistors

ickyfrog

Active Member
I recently brought home a beautiful pair of Klipsch Forte's. These are Forte I from 1986.

They sounded great as is, and I immediately ordered caps and resistors to redo the crossovers. Also got the Crites titanium tweeter elements.

These old Fortes had the crossovers parts directly mounted on the plastic cup with no circuit board. I found both crossover resistors (40ohm) cracked, and both measured as open circuit with a meter.

Is this common with older Fortes? How would this have affected the sound?

By the way the - upgraded speakers sound amazing now!
 
Register to hide this ad
I recently brought home a beautiful pair of Klipsch Forte's. These are Forte I from 1986.

They sounded great as is, and I immediately ordered caps and resistors to redo the crossovers. Also got the Crites titanium tweeter elements.

These old Fortes had the crossovers parts directly mounted on the plastic cup with no circuit board. I found both crossover resistors (40ohm) cracked, and both measured as open circuit with a meter.

Is this common with older Fortes? How would this have affected the sound?

By the way the - upgraded speakers sound amazing now!

Did you replace the resistors? Sounds like a QC issue rather than overpowering. Or perhaps they are not original? They are spec'd at 5 watts meaning they are not intended to receive large amounts of current, but maybe they did. Tell tale signs would include some evidence of very high heat on the coils and breaks in the ceramic coating. Can't imagine how much power would be passing through to the system overall IF that was the cause of failure.

Anyway, if these are open and not passing current then it would boost the high end response and change the roll off effect of the filter. Should be replaced if not already.
 
Back
Top Bottom