• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Klipsch Forte - What to Expect

ScooterMcTav

I know less than I think
I posted this over on the Klipsch website, but thought there may be value in gaining some additional perspective.

Back when I sold my MAs, and was in the process of refinishing my Soliloquy, I had placed a local classified ad looking for a set of floorstanders or large bookshelves. A couple of offers came through, including a set of original Klipsch Forte, which have had a Crites mod to either the tweeter, the xover, or both. The retired owner can't remember which.

However, instead of buying speakers, I decided to give my Soliloquy a second chance, and they've done well, though I still abhor that I need to sub fill bass for the lowest octaves. On some music, the sub bumps too much, on other tunes, it's OK.

So here we are two months later, and I still have this feeling of general dissatisfaction. So I find myself doing more research about the Forte, and they appear to have been one of the better liked Klipsch models. I also have read more about PWK, and his design philosophies and speaker designs certainly appeal to the left side of my brain.

So, I was able to track down the gentleman who first offered them to me, and yes, he still had them. So I will be going to his place sometime in the next two weeks, CDs in hand to hear if they also appeal to the right side of my brain as well.

As someone who has not owned horns before, and who only had a brief flirtation with a set of Klipsch BOTL bookshelves, and who typically prefers silk domes to metal, what am I getting into?

Welcome the feedback of others.
 
Register to hide this ad
I don't know what you're getting into (having never heard the Forte's BUT, am a big fan of Klipsch...)

Anyway, with NO disrespect intended, I got a chuckle out of "set of original..." "which have had a Crites Mod to either....."

So they're not 'original'... :eek:

People seem to love Bob's goods though!! :thumbsup:
 
I see you'll be using a Jolida valve amp that looks like it runs el34's. This might be a match made in audio nirvana... The Forte's will take everything that amp will throw at them from all genres.

Klipsch tend to be very revealing. Forte came in two versions: Forte and Forte II. Both very well respected speakers with plenty of bass, so you will not need a subwoofer. Excellent speaker with a fairly large footprint (they're also tall). If you have a valve amp you're all set.

P.S.

Placement is critical with these. Try them slightly toed in and close to ear level.
 
Last edited:
I don't know what you're getting into (having never heard the Forte's BUT, am a big fan of Klipsch...)

Anyway, with NO disrespect intended, I got a chuckle out of "set of original..." "which have had a Crites Mod to either....."

So they're not 'original'... :eek:

People seem to love Bob's goods though!! :thumbsup:

Had a good chuckle at this as well. By original I meant the original edition, not the Forte II. But yes, I see how that could be misconstrued.

What will you be driving them with? Klipsch tend to be very revealing. Forte came in two versions: Forte and Forte II. Both very well respected speakers with plenty of bass, so you will not need a subwoofer. Excellent speaker with a fairly large footprint (they're also tall). If you have a valve amp you're all set.

P.S.

Placement is critical with these. Try them slightly toed in and close to ear level.

Thanks for the tips. Pairing will be with my Jolida valve amp (currently using KT-88 in the power tube stage), and I've got good upstream gear. Pretty much swap them for the Soliloquy in my sig.

Nice part is my new audio friend is demoing them with a KT-88 tube setup as well, so it should give me a decent idea of how they'll sound.
 
Had a good chuckle at this as well. By original I meant the original edition, not the Forte II. But yes, I see how that could be misconstrued.



Thanks for the tips. Pairing will be with my Jolida valve amp (currently using KT-88 in the power tube stage), and I've got good upstream gear. Pretty much swap them for the Soliloquy in my sig.

Nice part is my new audio friend is demoing them with a KT-88 tube setup as well, so it should give me a decent idea of how they'll sound.


Run with the tone controls flat or out of the circuit with no loudness. Give your ears a song or two to acclimate and enjoy. I use el34's and sometimes 6ca7's in my amp (updated ST70) and it's plenty loud if I want and has GREAT tone.

Let us know how everything turns out. If the Crites mod was done correctly that's a bonus.
 
Run with the tone controls flat or out of the circuit with no loudness. Give your ears a song or two to acclimate and enjoy. I use el34's and sometimes 6ca7's in my amp (updated ST70) and it's plenty loud if I want and has GREAT tone.

Let us know how everything turns out. If the Crites mod was done correctly that's a bonus.

Interesting to consider. Having speakers this efficient might give me some different options, like my set of JJ EL-34. I can run EL-34, KT-77, 6CA7, 6550, and KT-88 in the Jolida, and not needing as much output may change how I feel about the EL-34.
 
ScooterMcTav said:
Had a good chuckle at this as well. By original I meant the original edition, not the Forte II. But yes, I see how that could be misconstrued.

That Coytee is a funny old coot! :thumbsup:
 
I have a very nice pair in walnut. Did no Crites stuff, but did recap the crossovers, added an internal front-to-rear baffle brace, and resealed all openings. They are 30-something, after all, and benefit a lot from this cheap and easy maintenance. Well, the brace is a mod, I guess, but really should have been done at the factory.
 
Back
Top Bottom