• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Klipsch Heresy spacing

brad44

Active Member
Im trying to use a pair of recapped Klipsch Heresy1 with tubes in 22x15 room. I have them on the short wall placed on the floor to one side. spaced about 5' apart toed into my sitting position about 7 feet away.

Ive read the recomendation to get them in the corners.

Is that advisable with 15' distance?
And if I go to the trouble of rearranging that, how far away should my listening chair be from them at 15' spacing?
Generally, what would be the right spacing for Heresy 1?
 
Register to hide this ad
Im trying to use a pair of recapped Klipsch Heresy1 with tubes in 22x15 room. I have them on the short wall placed on the floor to one side. spaced about 5' apart toed into my sitting position about 7 feet away.

Ive read the recomendation to get them in the corners.

Is that advisable with 15' distance?
And if I go to the trouble of rearranging that, how far away should my listening chair be from them at 15' spacing?
Generally, what would be the right spacing for Heresy 1?
I would have to say that the best spacing would be that which sounds best to you, nothing more or less than that. Since you have the speakers and the room you shouldn't have any trouble being able to determine the answer. Keep it simple. :)
 
Thanks, but it not as easy as you think.

I was hoping to get a general idea by reading what worked best for others placing these speakers. Do you own a pair of Heresy 1's and if so, what worked best for you?
 
Had a pair since 1980 driven with tubes anywhere from 6' to 10'. Crossed just behind the ears.
 
Thanks, but it not as easy as you think.

I was hoping to get a general idea by reading what worked best for others placing these speakers. Do you own a pair of Heresy 1's and if so, what worked best for you?
How is it not that easy? Try every feasible placement in your room, and pick which one works best for you. It is that simple. To answer your question, I do not "own" a pair of Heresy speakers but I have had them in my home and I sold several pairs of them when I worked in a small used audio retail shop. I currently own a modified pair of Forte speakers among several other speakers. I move all speakers around the room until I'm satisfied that they're sounding the best they are able to in that room. You'll end up getting a bunch of disparate suggestions, many conflicting with others and end up no closer to the end result than if you had just tried it for yourself.
As for what placement worked best for me with the Heresy's, it was either up off the floor or angled upwards to aim at the sitting ear level, 6 to 10 feet apart, away from room corners and 2 to 3 feet away from the back wall. Distance to the listening position is critical, too close and the drivers won't blend together resulting in a rather unpleasant sound. This was what worked best for me in my space and to my taste, that ought to mean very little to how you'll experience them.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas.
Due to physical limitations, its not easy for me to move furniture and speakers around at will ... but now hopefully I will be able to do it with some purpose after I eat me spinach.

I find it interesting you suggest 'off the floor' since they seem to lack bass a bit, I would think they would like to be firmly attached to the floor.
 
Thanks for the ideas.
Due to physical limitations, its not easy for me to move furniture and speakers around at will ... but now hopefully I will be able to do it with some purpose after I eat me spinach.

I find it interesting you suggest 'off the floor' since they seem to lack bass a bit, I would think they would like to be firmly attached to the floor.
They provide all of the the bass that they were designed for. If you need/want more then you have two options, get different speakers or get subwoofer(s).
 
Or keep them on the floor perhaps.
Sure, if that works for you. Doing so will not add bass that simply isn't there, however, unless angled upwards, the mid-range and treble will be focusing at your shins instead of your ears. :confused:
 
Mine are a maybe a foot out of the corners and on the carpet. They're nearly against the back wall, maybe 6" out. I get more bass than you'd think, based on all the lack-of-bass complaints. I experimented with toe-in and found it not desirable (at least for me). Mine are toed in maybe 5 degrees or so.
 
DarkBlue is correct. See what works for you. I have a pair of Heresy Is in my bedroom right now and these sound best in some of the oddest places. Currently, they are against a wall about eight feet apart and sound horrible. Previously, I had them two feet apart against a desk in the middle of my room and they sounded the best I've heard from them so far. (Having them shooting at my knees attenuated some of the treble to my tastes.) I've also had them in corners, yadda, yadda, yadda. Your experience will be unique, as well. Experiment. Good luck, and have fun.

GeeDeeEmm
 
The list of variables that determines what is the optimum listening distance and the best separation is almost endless. Source material, recording style, type of source, electronics chosen, room acoustics, etc etc etc all determine what is the optimum relationship between the listener and their speakers. The listeners perception and listening experience should also be taken into account.
 
Back
Top Bottom