• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Pod

chicks

Lunatic Member
I have a Klipsch Promedia 2.1 sub without the satellites or control pod (the orphan subs show up in thrifts around here for $10 or so occasionally). Thinking about using it in the man-cave along with some recently-acquired Boston CR6's for a decent computer / DMS-1 streamer speaker setup.

Located the full set of schematics here:
http://www.thompdale.com/bash_amplifier/2-1/2-1_bash_amp.htm

Looks like the control pod is basically a quad FET opamp. I wouldn't need the emitter followers, since I never use headphones. Question is, with the level pots in the feedback loop of the opamps, do they need to have a linear taper, or an audio taper?

2-1_contol-992x647.gif
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Was able to scrounge up enough parts in the old parts box to build a fixed-gain version of the preamp into the sub itself. Added a pair of RCA jacks for line input. I do need to add a level control for the sub channel, but right now I have the sub amp's gain adjusted right where I like it, at least on the bench. There isn't a whole lot of room on that plate amp, as the pics linked to above show.

Used perf board and a pair of LF-353N dual FET opamps from Rat Shack (bought years ago, when they used to stock such things). Hot glued in place, barely fits, but workin' fine. Didn't build the high-pass filter, not sure why it's absolutely necessary - my calculations show it has a 6Hz corner frequency. Maybe it's there to protect the sub driver from game explosion sounds, which won't be an issue in this application! There is a spare opamp, in case I decide to add it later.

Unlike the Atlantic Technologies PBM-162 powered sub I had been using with the Edirol setup, the Klipsch, while much smaller, isn't boomy. It supposedly goes down to 31 Hz, and crosses to the satellites at 100Hz.

Listening to Asleep At The Wheel's Ride With Bob right now, sounds pretty good for a small, inexpensive garage system.

For now, we'll just use this with the DMS-1 streamer. The Openfi firmware allows the scroll wheel to optionally be used as a volume control instead of positioning within a song, so it'll do. Saving my pennies for one of these TCC TC-754's, which will provide three aux inputs and a volume control (along with a phono preamp, which won't be needed in the garage).

TC754F.jpg
 
Last edited:
chicks,

I'd be interested in hearing how you managed to do what you've done with this sub. I've got 2 subs from the 4.1 ProMedia sets that I'd like to use with stereo speakers, and a line-in type set-up like you've made.

Anyhow, chicks, I'm not sure I understand anything on the linked page, or much of what you've already described? Could you recommend some further reading for me, or describe in a "novice" friendly way what some of my options are?

Cheers,

THC
 
i would like to see what you did to make this work also Had one given to me without the control pod looks like it would be a nice sub
 
Would also be very interested in more novice friendly description of how to make this sub work with a receiver. In the same situation now - sub only, no satellites or control pod, looking to connect sub to a receiver.
 
Back
Top Bottom