• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Knight kb-85

audiofred

Active Member
Hello All,
I am going to get back to re-building a Knight KB85 amp. Is it worth the extra time of searching for the original output tubes or just stick some Svetlana
6L6's in there? There were 4- EL37's.
I have a pair of JBL Studio monitors 3-way speakers with the 12" woofer. Would the KB-85 be able to make a nice sound??
Are these JBL's from the ineffecient speaker days, where you needed many many watts to get some SPL's??
And another set of speakers for consideration are a pair of Advent's with a 10 inch woofer, also a 3-way system.
Thanks

Fred
 
Register to hide this ad
I have a KB-85 awaiting rebuild as well. My solution on the EL37 was to set-up an eBay search. After ~3 years I got (8) EL37's which yielded (6) reasonably close tubes.
 
I also have a KB-85 that luckily came with all of it's EL37s.

I have a friend who has three KB-85s and he been running the Russian 6P3S-E tubes in them and says they sound nearly if not as good as the Mullard EL37s.

They can be bought off of many different vendors at that on-line action place.

If you buy some make sure you get the E variety, they are a sturdier tube than the straight 6P3S.

Cheers

Lar
 
yeah . .. EL37's are pricey . . .

I have a matched pair that came out of a $50 tube caddy . . I want to try a EL37 SE amp eventually . . .

I know EL37 is a 6L6 'variant', but wouldn't you have to re-bias for proper operation ?
 
Wonder how KT66s would sound in place of these?

Regards,
Gordon.

If they do it is just barely -

a_knightkit_front.jpg
 
Soundmotor and fellow audio folks,
I wish my KB looked as good as yours. I got mine from the Bay and it was actually two units. I'm restoring the nicer looking amp, using the other as a parts unit and spare iron.
And, Gordon, I think there is an issue with the KT66's drawing a lot more filament current than the 6L6GC's or EL37's. There were some useful threads and googling looking for advantage/disadvantages of 6L6's and KT-88 or KT-66's or even 6550's.
I'll stick with the suggestion from here for some Rusky tubes or maybe JJ Tesla.

Would this amp make my JBL's happy or the Advents I mentioned earlier?? I'm thinking that ineffecient speakers won't let the amp do its thing.
This forum is a great place. "Ya'll" are bringing back wonderful memories from my tube days.

fred
 
Soundmotor and fellow audio folks, I wish my KB looked as good as yours.

Not mine, off web.

Mine has the chassis bead-blasted down to bare metal. All the plating is gone. When I got it I believe it had been on the Andrea Doria. It was a rusted mess, missing the front-end PCB, & and a host of other problems. Transformers were OK and have been repainted with matte black epoxy-based. They were actually done in the ADS paint shop and look like L200cc's. This amp is a love/hate project as the KB-85 probably has the worst physical layout of any amplifier I've had. The chassis is weak, perhaps half the gauge of a Dynaco ST70 with it's power transformer ~2X bigger. I take it out of the box periodically, stare at it, and put it away.
 
Well, thanks to this forum and what you folks do here, I quit staring at my KB-85 sitting on the shelf, lonely and cold in the basement.
I ordered and will "shotgun" the resistors. I previously "re-capped" everything. The output tubes were broken from a move 4 yrs ago. So a trip to an auction site and I purchased a set of JJ Tesla 6L6GC's.
I had some rememberances of nice tube stuff about 5 yrs ago with a Fisher 500C and then I wanted to play with an ST70.
It's time to hear tube audio again as a steady diet.

Fred
 
May I keep this thread at the top with one more thought??

Has anybody "suped up" a KB-85??? Solid state the 5AR4's for more B+??
Played with the bias?? change from stock setting increase/decrease? Experiment with a modified class of operation??
Wasted effort??? Keep it stock??
Just loose thoughts rolling around, that's all.

Fred
 
I had one of these once, missing the circuit boards and sold what was left about 10 years ago. Should have kept it of course - something about having to pay bills....:tears:

If I remember correctly, the KB-85 is the Mullard 5-20 circuit, almost exactly out of the Mullard book except for the change to dual rectifiers. I would think that good quality EL-34s would just plug right in. It's fuzzy, but I think there's something about the 6L6 that makes it less than an ideal sub - too much heater current? I'd adjust the B+ voltage to suit the EL34s. I wouldn't change the rectifiers to SS - the 5AR4s in this amp are used well within their limits, almost in what I think is the ideal situation for these. Big stereo amps or tube receivers using one 5AR4 are pushing these a bit too much, at least for long life and low power supply resistance.
 
Hi All,

I went for broke and did a complete restore including re-chroming the chassis on a KB-85 that I got off ebay only to find one of the output transformers is dead. I so want to keep this old boy original. Is there anybody out there that may have a extra OPT for sell or trade or be willing to sell or trade the unit? Any condition just as long as it has a working OPT. Thanks, Stan email: everstan1@bresnan.net
 
can you get the part number off the transformer? if not i believe the transformer might be the same as the 25w basic mono amp.

chris
 
Could you use an EL38 and re-wire as needed? They are cheap enough, but you get an anode cap to deal with.
 
Back
Top Bottom