• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Knight mono block with volume static question, help needed

SwingModern

Well-Known Member
Hello,
I have this Knight monoblock. When I turn up the volume I get static and distortion. At low volume it sounds fine.

I replaced most of the capacitors already and used deoxit.

Any help in identifying the problem is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
knight.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
I'd try bypassing the volume pot entirely with a jumper (to give max volume) and seeing how that sounds. The pot could have issues on part of its adjustment range. Keep in mind the volume pot doubles as the grid leak resistor in some designs so you might need to install a temporary one.
 
I'd try bypassing the volume pot entirely with a jumper (to give max volume) and seeing how that sounds. The pot could have issues on part of its adjustment range. Keep in mind the volume pot doubles as the grid leak resistor in some designs so you might need to install a temporary one.
I'm still a newb at this. How would I go about bypassing the volume pot? Thanks!
 
exactly which model is this? and/or do you have a schematic to post? Would be easier to do this with a common point of reference.
 
exactly which model is this? and/or do you have a schematic to post? Would be easier to do this with a common point of reference.
I don't know what model it is and don't have a schematic unfortunately. I could upload a photo of the underside with all the wiring if that would help. Thanks
 
A picture would help. The pot should have three tabs coming from it, one of which is grounded and the other two of which are not. You can determine which is which by tracing the wires or using a DMM in resistance mode. In order to bypass the pot, you'd connect the two non-grounded terminals together temporarily. Now that I think about it, bypassing the pot in this manner doesn't remove the resistance to ground, so there isn't any potential issue with grid leak resistance.
 

Attachments

Last edited:
I have a feeling it's not the volume pot, but I could be wrong. Sounds like the amp is distorting at higher power output. Could be the 20uF cathode bypass cap has gone bad, which is probably the one the OP hasn't replaced. But I'm just guessing. ;-)
 
I have a feeling it's not the volume pot, but I could be wrong. Sounds like the amp is distorting at higher power output. Could be the 20uF cathode bypass cap has gone bad, which is probably the one the OP hasn't replaced. But I'm just guessing. ;-)
I probably haven't! :) I'll look for that cap on the underside. Thanks!
 
So, I replaced the two caps marked Sprague and now instead of static and sound, I only get a tapping sound.

Ideas on what I did wrong? Thanks!
I'm not sure what your level of experience is with this stuff but do be careful with lethal voltages etc. If you replaced the Sprague electrolytics with proper value caps with the same polarity those should be fine. The power supply caps that would normally be high on the priority list for replacement are the can caps on the top of the chassis, circled below.20220520_204512.jpg
 
I'm not sure what your level of experience is with this stuff but do be careful with lethal voltages etc. If you replaced the Sprague electrolytics with proper value caps with the same polarity those should be fine. The power supply caps that would normally be high on the priority list for replacement are the can caps on the top of the chassis, circled below.View attachment 2572451
Thanks for that information.

What I'm trying understand it going from static with sound to replacing the sprague caps and now no sound. It seems like it's something in that change that's causing the problem. Thanks
 
Back
Top Bottom