• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Know Rollins from Rouse, Golson from Gonsalves?

tomcatmixd

Musically reclined
Lester-Young.jpg


Fun quiz for jazz enthusiasts from the LondonJazzCollector blog...

Think you know your tenors? The blog presents a list of the 20 "greatest" tenor saxophonists in the history of jazz...and asks you to identify each musician's performance from 20 short audio clips. Can you match the sound to the soloist?

(I certainly couldn't...at least, not very well. Got just 9 of the 20 correct. I clearly need to listen to more Sam Rivers and Wayne Shorter!)

Take the Tenors quiz. (Correct answers are in comments section of the quiz blog post.)
 
Register to hide this ad
I hope Rhassan Roland Kirk is on that list. and Eric Dolphy. and Pharoah Sanders.

Kirk and Sanders, two brilliant tenor players, did not make this particular short list. (Yes, it's subjective.) Dolphy played alto, not tenor, as well as flute and bass clarinet.
 
These lists are always controversial, but I am glad to see my man Zoot Sims make the list. My personal favorite jazz musician and one who is criminally underappreciated here on AK. (Apologies to both Dennie & Chicks!)
 
These lists are always controversial, but I am glad to see my man Zoot Sims make the list. My personal favorite jazz musician and one who is criminally underappreciated here on AK. (Apologies to both Dennie & Chicks!)

Yes, these lists are controversial and really reflect the preferences of the individual posting them. Needless to say some of the greatest tenors are glaringly absent on this one. But it's always fun to take a blindfold test. And is Zoot underappreciated here on AK?!! If he hasn't been posted on the playlist lately, we'll have to do something about that.
 
Thanks for the support folks, between LPs & CDs I must have 50 or so recordings by Zoot Sims. His playing is always spot on, never strident and man could he swing! More of a Lester Young stylist but he was a Charlie Parker fan too. Played with everyone from Getz to Goodman, Peterson to Pass, Billie to Basie.
 
Well, I was going to chime in for support of the great Zoot Sims, but looks like i'm in enlightened company.
 
What was it in Blazing Saddles that Sheriff Bart said: "I am rapidly becoming an underground success story around here!"
 
What was it in Blazing Saddles that Sheriff Bart said: "I am rapidly becoming an underground success story around here!"

haha, and he also said "....'scuse me while I whip this out...."

Okay, I'll have to watch that again this weekend.
 
Back
Top Bottom