• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Koss CM-1030's

I've got a couple of pairs of 1020s and a pair of 1030s that I need to get to work on. Where did you source the switches? Thanks- Jim
 
I've got a couple of pairs of 1020s and a pair of 1030s that I need to get to work on. Where did you source the switches? Thanks- Jim

I ordered some from partsexpress, they are black instead of white though. The crossover resistors were a mess with corrosion, make sure you check them.
 
I have a pair of CM-530s in my computer/secondary system, I have always been fond of their sound. I am sure they aren't flat like my ARs but there is just a warmth, and as you say, authoritative and competent low end that I find very appealing.
I've never heard the CM/530s (it's on my to-do list to buy a pair some time) but I suspect that they sound somewhat different than the rest of the CM line (CM/1030, CM/1020, and CM/1010). I have a brochure dated 1977 that makes no mention of the CM/530, and one dated 1978 that does include it. However, just looking at it you can see that none of the drivers in it are the same as any in the others. The CM/1030 and CM/1020 are very similar speakers. The smaller CM/1010 uses a tunable passive radiator instead of ports. The CM/530's woofer and passive radiator look like older-generation drivers. Those three all have some frequency shaping capabilities. The CM/530 does not. The CM/530 is called a bookshelf speaker, and was designed to be placed vertically or horizontally. The others are really vertical only. The CM/530 certainly stands apart from the others; more than the CM/1010 does from its bigger siblings. Regardless, I'd really like to hear a pair of CM/530s in like-new sounding condition.

If anyone wants a pdf copy of those brochures, contact me at junk666email@hotmail.com

Jeff Mackwood
 
I've never heard the CM/530s (it's on my to-do list to buy a pair some time) but I suspect that they sound somewhat different than the rest of the CM line (CM/1030, CM/1020, and CM/1010). I have a brochure dated 1977 that makes no mention of the CM/530, and one dated 1978 that does include it. However, just looking at it you can see that none of the drivers in it are the same as any in the others. The CM/1030 and CM/1020 are very similar speakers. The smaller CM/1010 uses a tunable passive radiator instead of ports. The CM/530's woofer and passive radiator look like older-generation drivers. Those three all have some frequency shaping capabilities. The CM/530 does not. The CM/530 is called a bookshelf speaker, and was designed to be placed vertically or horizontally. The others are really vertical only. The CM/530 certainly stands apart from the others; more than the CM/1010 does from its bigger siblings. Regardless, I'd really like to hear a pair of CM/530s in like-new sounding condition.

If anyone wants a pdf copy of those brochures, contact me at junk666email@hotmail.com

Jeff Mackwood
Was doing some Koss-related searching today and came across this old post of mine, which I'd like to update.

In re-reading it, and thinking back all those years, I think I come across as poo-pooing the Koss CM/530s. If I was, I should not have done so!

Since then, I have acquired a pair and have had them fully refurbished to like-new performance. Crossovers were refurbished (including one inductor that had failed - a first for me!) and the broken spyders on the passive radiators were replaced. All the work was done by The Speaker Exchange in Tampa. Great job; terrific price!

They sound very very very good! I've got them positioned in their optimal horizontal configuration. And while they are very bass-capable they are working in concert with a previously non-functioning SVS PC13 Ultra that I also acquired (for free) and brought back to life with a new SVS replacement amp plate. (If I've never done a shout out to SVS' customer service folks, this is it now!)

I could go on at length about them. Unfortunately, there's not too many pairs of them out there, but it's well worth the effort to track one down and give it a try.

Great reviews can be found here (page 47) and here (page 31).

As always, if anyone wants/needs any info/help regarding the Koss CM Series of loudspeakers (CM/1030, CM/1020, CM/1010, and CM/530) I can be reached at junk666email@hotmail.com.

Jeff
 
Back
Top Bottom