• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Krell KSA-100 - is it worth bothering with?

Is bias externally adjustable?
No. Cover will have to be removed.
Two bournes pots accessed from the sides with a long thin flat blade screw driver (preferable non conductive). The bournes are on the driver boards just in front of the heat sinks and outputs.
 
Woo-hoo, my Haflers have something in common with Krell.

Krell heat sinks are pure evil--I swear they sharpen them during final assembly. This is a stock photo that I downloaded to show someone what one looked like--I have 4 of them, and I have both the metal and clear lexan tops for them--I keep the lexan tops on them so you can see inside.

170038-krell_kma160_monoblock_amps__160wpc_class_a.jpg

And that is a single 160w monoblock--just a hair under 100lbs and draws 8A current at idle...
 
Krell heat sinks are pure evil--I swear they sharpen them during final assembly.
Yes, but you have handles. The Hafler not so much. The heat sinks are the way to grab the amp to move it. I hope by now I have learned to grab it front to rear instead of side to side.

After all the human sacrifices of the DH-200, Hafler rounded the heat sinks on the DH-220.
 
Well I see there is a few different Krell KSA-100, there is a Krell KSA-100 MkII, and Krell KSA-100 MkIIs also. While some are saying any of them are a good amp I guess, I'm looking at the time of working on the cars. 40 hours of mechanic trade isn't fair at all, even at a low price of $50 an hour. I'm seeing prices of $1600 - $2000 for this amp.
 
Well I see there is a few different Krell KSA-100, there is a Krell KSA-100 MkII, and Krell KSA-100 MkIIs also. While some are saying any of them are a good amp I guess, I'm looking at the time of working on the cars. 40 hours of mechanic trade isn't fair at all, even at a low price of $50 an hour. I'm seeing prices of $1600 - $2000 for this amp.

For me, as a mechanic, I'd probably do 40 hours of book time in trade for the amp (as long as it was in good shape and not already in need of a rebuild).
It would definitely be dependent on the jobs however. Doing some side work last week I swung 22 hours of book time doing maintenance on three Porsches with my total time in being about 6 hours. I'd do double that for the Krell no problem.
Beating/torching rusty bolts off a heavy truck or dealing with gummed carbs on a bike that's sat for 40 years, not so much...
 
For me, as a mechanic, I'd probably do 40 hours of book time in trade for the amp (as long as it was in good shape and not already in need of a rebuild..Beating/torching rusty bolts off a heavy truck or dealing with gummed carbs on a bike that's sat for 40 years, not so much...

I don’t really know yet what I’ll be dealing with or what sort of shape the Krell is in. Just trying to suss things up first and then negotiate. I’ll talk with the guy again tomorrow.
 
If the amp has not had any service. I don’t think that it is worth 40 hours of your time. I have a KSA-250 and can honestly say that it is one of the finest amps I have ever owned. But, it needed a refresh. After I had it done, the amp went from amazing to awesome. It was not a cheap refurbishment at all. But it was totally worth it. Krell amps in this line were truly seriously good amps. If he is willing to negotiate a bit down on time for the amp. I would take him up on demoing the amp. Be prepared for the listening room to get a bit balmy.
 
Well, it has been a month now. I decided that I didn’t want to lay in the guy’s yard, on my back, getting old car gunk in my face in trade for an amp. No lift - me putting his backyard cars on jackstands and laying underneath. I’m not 20 anymore so decided I’d pass on the labor trade.

However, I requested that he held onto the KSA 100 ‘till I could buy it from him. Been saving up for the past month and I’m going over this week to give the amp a good looking at and a listen. If I think it’s in decent shape and can negotiate a fair price, a Krell KSA 100 MK 2 may follow me home. I’ll post again on it in a couple days.
He’s got some other interesting stuff he’d asked if I’m interested in.. I know he’s got other amps, too.
I’ll let you all know if I bring something fun home.
 
The first question i'd want answered is why a Krell owner has chosen to part with the amp. My gut feeling is that the amp is well beyond the threshold of needing service.

That the amplifier is worth less to him than having to do some menial labor on his own project car should inspire some questions and suspicions about the amp's operating condition and expected longevity.
 
Well, it has been a month now. I decided that I didn’t want to lay in the guy’s yard, on my back, getting old car gunk in my face in trade for an amp. No lift - me putting his backyard cars on jackstands and laying underneath. I’m not 20 anymore so decided I’d pass on the labor trade.

However, I requested that he held onto the KSA 100 ‘till I could buy it from him. Been saving up for the past month and I’m going over this week to give the amp a good looking at and a listen. If I think it’s in decent shape and can negotiate a fair price, a Krell KSA 100 MK 2 may follow me home. I’ll post again on it in a couple days.
He’s got some other interesting stuff he’d asked if I’m interested in.. I know he’s got other amps, too.
I’ll let you all know if I bring something fun home.
Have you checked mechanic rates lately?

Good decision on the pass.

I would trade very few hours labor for a non working amp.
 
I never said the amp is non-working; the owner claims that it works VERY well! I’m going over to hear it soon.
Also - he’s not giving the amp away; he knows what they sell for. I’m just hoping I can swoop it up for a fair price and that it is in good shape.

He’s an audiophile who has amassed a house full of excellent equipment - and he’s into tube gear. Walking into his place, you’d think he’s a packrat who’s been collecting audio electronics for many years. He (embarrassingly) told me that each of his three floors looks like the one I was looking at. His reason for selling the Krell? Well, he told me that he’s building another home for retirement and the “big, heavy stuff” needs to get cleared out. That’s also why he wants the vehicles sitting in his yard to be fixed - he want’s to sell ‘em. The guy seems a little eccentric but he’s an audiophile and collector. I’m sure he uses something much more expensive than a 30 year old Krell. No doubt, he has the funds for whatever he’s wanting.
 
Thing’s a BEAST for a solid state amp; about twice the physical size of my Adcom 555 and three times the weight.

Turns out that it’s either a late MK1 that has the MK2 fans, or may have been updated to MK2 fans - or maybe an in between - or an early MK2 with the older MK1 badge.(?) - It has the MK2 style fans. Anyway, they’re quiet and blowing upward though the heat sinks. After listening for over an hour the amp seemed warm, pretty much the same on both sides. It wasn’t hot though, and that’s with a light load.
The amp does sound very good but I had to hear it through a 16 Ohm load - some late ‘50s vintage 15” Tannoy Dual Concentrics in huge back-loaded horn cabinets. It sounded very sweet, but those old Tannoys do sound amazing.
I think I may have paid a premium for it - $1500; he wouldn’t budge and I’m a sucker for a big amp (and wanted one of these 30 years ago).
I also got to check out (look at) some of his tube gear, mostly vintage. Pair of monster ARC Classic 150 mono blocks, a set of four Ballinger (?) mono amps from the ‘50s (he’s very proud of those) ‘50s Raytheon mono amps, and some really huge mono amps that he says were made in 1929.
Interesting stuff, anyway. I told him I’m coming back over to hear the ARC Classic 150’s next week. While I can’t afford those today, maybe he’ll hold onto them for me.. ^_^

I’ll hook this monster up this evening and have a listen at my place. Hoping the house wiring is sufficient..

90B5E396-11E2-47F5-8E3F-C6327D331965.jpeg 0E6A2407-0F78-44FC-B1E3-7C639AC07E8B.jpeg BC425C94-D1B5-4BA3-AC22-8371E8880D57.jpeg

BTW - Dan, if you’re reading this - the SOTA head amp he has is a flat model that reads “SOTA Head Amp 2” on it. Not the commonly seen, cylindrical ones.
 
Back
Top Bottom