• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

KT77 bias in Dynaco ST-70

BuzzK

AK Member
Subscriber
I think I might have an issue with my old Mullard EL34s after all. :tears:

So I think I might try a quad of Gold Lion KT77s.

Dyna ran the original Mullards at 50 mA each.

What do folks recommend for these?

Thanks.

Buzz
 
Register to hide this ad
The new gold lions sound better overall to my ears than do the old Mullards. Although I've recently been comparing a number of the current-production modern EL34 equivalents on my HF-89, and frankly, my favorite of the bunch which I have tried are the JJ KT77s. My second favorite is a tie between the gold lions, and the Svetlana EL34s.

IMO the JJs have a more "magical" sounding midrange, but the gold lions are probably more accurate-sounding.
 
Last edited:
I'd tend to hit about 45ma. Good balance between not over-running the plate dissipation, and still having enough current for good sonics.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
You might want to review dcgillespie's thread about the ST70 and maybe ask about the KT77 in that application.
 
I could never get the bias reading below 1.68 with 6L6GC's in a stock circuit.


Steve
I thought that 6L6GCs screen voltage rating was a little low for safe use in an ultralinear configuration at that high of a voltage. I believe that to safely use 6L6s in a stereo you need to have a regulated screen (true pentode mode), with a lower voltage, like Audio Research did with their stereo 70 mod kit.
 
I thought that 6L6GCs screen voltage rating was a little low for safe use in an ultralinear configuration at that high of a voltage. I believe that to safely use 6L6s in a stereo you need to have a regulated screen (true pentode mode), with a lower voltage, like Audio Research did with their stereo 70 mod kit.

I put about 600 hrs on a quad of C's knowing that they were running a little high.
The tubes still sound nice in another amp for now.

Bob [dynaco guy] gave some advice how to run 6l6gc's/kt77's, but
I forgot what he said.
 
Back
Top Bottom