• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

KT88s - Reissue Mullard vs. Gold Lion

MX117.MC7150

Listener
Subscriber
Anyone tried the new reissue Mullard KT88s? If so,what do you think? I've got about 1800hr on a quad of GLs and need to order a new set of something to have on the shelf and the Mullards would save about $60 over the GLs. Both made by New Sensor.
Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
The Mullards don't seem to be getting much play. I'll volunteer to be the guinea pig. Everyone send me $10 and I'll buy a set and report back. ;)
Guess I'll flip a coin. If it comes up Mullard I'll give em a try.
 
Not sure who you get yours from, but I might consider dropping Jim McShane a line. He deals all of the New Sensor lines, and he might be able to offer an opinion on them. When I thought I was KT88 shopping, he suggested the Gold Lions as the toughest of the bunch, but I ended up going KT120 instead. I didn't ask specifically about the Mullards, just for his suggestion on the KT88's.
 
Thank, Thain. Good idea. I'll give him a shout and see what he thinks. I'll let you know if I get a response by Sunday. a

We need to get Keith to fire up his Luxman MQ-88s, while we are up there so we can give them a listen. Rolled in that set of good Winged "C" tubes you tested for me yesterday and they certainly are nice sounding. Can't imagine why McIntosh stopped using them in their amps those many years ago.
 
First we need to have everyone send me $10 each so I can procure the MQ-88s. But I'm hoping to have the MB-3045s hooked up, they are ready if nothing happened to them over the summer as they hibernated under the coffee table. Basically, the whole system will be different except the preamp, I guess. Parts in different places and such. And Thain wants to try his MO100s out. The winged "C" was the go to tube according to one 3045 owner with the NOS GE being the best but we have to have something we an afford to use on a regular basis. That was the winged "C". I don't have either of those NLP (no longer produced) tubes.
 
I suspect Mac quit using them when they quit being made, or perhaps when they heard rumblings that they were going out of production.
 
Well........ the coin landed on its edge (imagine that). So still no decision.

Still seem to be plenty of Winged 'C's around for around $70-90, or about twice what they were.
 
I have two amps that use KT88s', but I'm leaning towards replacing them with KT120 for their improved bass response and greater power dissipation capabilities. The only requirement (that I know of) is that your filament supply can handle the modest increase in filament current. The greater power dissipation is especially important for my amps (HK Citation II and ARC D-115) because they tend to drive the outputs hard. But I guess that really doesn't answer the original question, does it?:)
 
Back
Top Bottom