• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kyocera DA-610 or Onkyo Integra DX-5500

cfinchrist

God bless America.
From people with direct knowledge or experience I would like to know which CD player you would choose between these two. I'm not really looking for the "sell them both and go with a modern player, or a music server, or a lossless ipod, or SACD." I just want to know which of the two cd players I mentioned is better, or would be your choice.:scratch2:
 
Register to hide this ad
The Kyocera for sure. The things are built like tanks, sound great, and are also some of the nicest looking CD players around. I've played my DA-310 just about every day for the last four years. I've never had a lick of trouble with it, not bad for a deck over twenty years old.
 
Test

I was given the chance to audition the Kyocera extensively against the Onkyo. It was a very difficult choice to make. I used a few different types of interconnects making sure both units had the same kind at the same time. AB'd them over and over with several different types of music. I was motivated to get the Kyocera since I have a kyocera turntable and tape deck. I was also motivated to keep the Onkyo, as I already have it and it would cost me nothing. On the very top end detail and sparkle, the Kyocera was better by a little bit, but from there on down, the Onkyo was more pleasant to listen to (very close mind you). The clincher was on music that was conducive to being cranked up pretty loud, the Onkyo remained clear clean and smooth, while the Kyocera got ever so slightly distorted and a little hard to listen to. These results were consistent after checking many different ways, so I still have my Onkyo Integra DX-5500.:smoke:
 
Last edited:
I will have one made from pure stainless or brass ! Just kidding, but I will keep using it till it dies and cant be fixed. Then I'll get another, or a Kyocera, or something else (maybe a modern CD player...nah).:thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom