• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

La Scala Econowaves - should I or shouldn't I?

TebbieBear

Active Member
Ok, I am without a doubt that you all will be able to tell me whether this is a good idea or not.

Firstly Let me say that I have listened rather extensively to La Scalas and do enjoy them, I have no problem with the "lack" of bass extension. I quote lack simply because I have never really seen it as that large of an issue, either my hearing is shot (possible after several sets of tubes in childhood) or I just don't notice it much in the type of music I listen to.

Ok, with that said I guess my question or maybe concern is a better choice of words, is the upper midrange of the bass horn. In the experience of the gents here, would the La Scala bass horn be able to play up to the crossover point needed on the Econowave. My gut says no, but I can't find any hard and fast info on just the bass section of the La Scala.

Thanks for the help guys.
 
Register to hide this ad
Nope. It won't play high enough. However, I'm not opposed to tearing those speakers up to improve them.
 
:) I know the La Scalas aren't everyones cup of tea.

Thats too bad, I was thinking that could be a pretty cool setup. Oh well. Thank you very much.
 
What are you missing/ in what sense are the La Scalas lacking for you? Why or what do you want to change?
 
Oh the La Scalas I have access to are not mine, they are my best friends. I have been listening to them at his place for years. I was actually thinking about making some DIY La Scala "bass bins" and putting an ewave top on them. I am currently only running some little Boston Acoustic A40s. My wife has given me the go ahead to move out the little bookshelves they are on and get some (much) bigger speakers. It really was just an Idea.

My next idea is something more in line with a DIY version of the Pioneer TAD 2402. I have never had a chance to listen to a set in person but they IMO are stunning. Now begins the research. If anyone has some links to DIYing 2402 style wooden horns I would appreciate it.

Truth be told I will probably just end up doing a "standard" ewave build as they seem to be the best of all worlds to me.
 
Last edited:
Do a search for "Jubescala," here and over at the Klipsch forum. It might be just what you are looking for.
 
Thanks for the link and search parameter, I have half a dozen tabs open in my browser already. Good stuff!
 
Back
Top Bottom