• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

La Scalas came home with me today. Ready for work

I could envision wrapping them in new veneer on the exterior, but the entire throat and mouth of the folded horn would be the challenge.
 
Only the exterior would need it. If you messed with the inside, you'd mess up the sound.

My plan (if I can get the wife on board) with my single LaScala (to be used as a center channel)... wrap it in 3/4 plywood...paint/veneer something (I don't really care to be honest....it would be to make her happy)

Where the K400/K77 reside, cut a larger hole (and then mount 3/4 motorboard there too.... and slap a K510 inside, taking the speaker to a 2-way format.

Having heard it... I already know it will sound killer. Here is a different representation of the same thing (this has the 2-piece top)
 

Attachments

  • JubLSI.jpg
    JubLSI.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 51
They would be pretty cool in a piano finish black. I was curious about the parts for your crossovers as you said you planned to use sonic caps. We wound up using parts from Bob C. As we found it a better deal. Plus he already had if fiqured out. Cheers!
 
They would be pretty cool in a piano finish black. I was curious about the parts for your crossovers as you said you planned to use sonic caps. We wound up using parts from Bob C. As we found it a better deal. Plus he already had if fiqured out. Cheers!

Same caps as the Crites kit. On sale they ended up a few bucks cheaper.
 
Re-did the one crossover that was from the speaker that seemed to have reduced output. both the 2uF caps were pretty much within tolerances at 1.95 and 2.12 per my DMM. I don't have a way to test leakage. The problem was at the 13uF cap as it measured 17.4. I am glad I found a problem.

I will re-install that crossover into the speaker and compare it with the old one that seemed okay before tackling it.
 
I've used the soy based version and it works great as well.

So it looks like the original labels are still there under the paint job. Any chance I can get the paint off without completely ruining the labels? Paint stripper, heat gun?
 
I've used the soy based version and it works great as well.

So it looks like the original labels are still there under the paint job. Any chance I can get the paint off without completely ruining the labels? Paint stripper, heat gun?

Take some good, clear close-up shots of the labels before you try. At least you'd be able to print them out and attach.
 
Take some good, clear close-up shots of the labels before you try. At least you'd be able to print them out and attach.

No, the labels are painted over currently and are fully covered. I am not sure if I can strip the paint off of them to actually see them again without damaging them in the process.

On the 2nd crossover, again the 13uF cap tested well out of spec at 16.5, but the smaller 2uF caps were just about dead on 2.0.
 
If you want to test your caps for leakage, bring them over to my house. I have a Sencore LC-101 capacitor/inductor analyzer. It's surprising how many of the old caps that check good for capacitance are very leaky. I checked over twenty of the kidney bean caps in a Pilot receiver and only had two or three that weren't leaky. I can't say that would apply to your Klipsch oil caps, but if they are leaky, then they're compromising the quality of the sound.

Larry D.
 
Back
Top Bottom