• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Lafayette KT-550 stereo tube amp potential purchase.

Oh.....there is one on Ebay currently.

In its original box......bidding is at $1599.99 currently. Only 1 bid.

Looks to be in nice shape. You can read the ad. Seller says the same one he sold a month or so ago .....and it went for $3499......but the buyer was a no pay. So back up for sale.

Here it is. I could see this one going for 3K or more if a couple bidders get into a fight over it. Don't see many of these.

Perhaps this is the one the OP is talking about? If so....sorry to broadcast it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384673968669?hash=item59905af21d:g:M7UAAOSwvPBhuQnx
 
Another Lafayette 550 popped up on Ebay today..
While these are becoming quite rare, These must me compared to Lafayette's biggest competitors of the day.
The obvious targets were McIntosh, and Marantz. I was good friends of Ed Duda, who was one of Lafayette's
design engineers. His expertise was the power supply and as he called it "the Gingerbread"
To make them Look good! After the final design, and prototypes were built, Part of his directives from the owner of Lafayette
was to further cut the amount of components to reduce the final costs. After more than a few times this happened,
Ed would just put in Bogus caps and resisters, that were not needed just so he could later remove them to satisfy the owner's wish
While there were some LA550 factory built units, most were the much cheaper Kit version KT550's.
Lafayette was for the most part built/designed to be the budget choice for those that couldn't afford the Fisher, Mac. Marantz made pieces.
Much like Heathkit Eico, Dynaco, and a few others. Many of these amps as well as the Revised HK Citation 2's also sold as kits, were Stripped
just for their Premium output iron, by those that felt they could make a superior sounding amp.
These are Nice Powerful Amps, but frankly not even as good as the Citation 2's, and definitely not as refined as the more expensive brands.
THE 1ST 100 LA550's were hand built, with matched and selected components,
Kinda like blueprinting an engine
By Mr Ed Duda so that all the magazine's, and reviewers could test them and verify the stated
specs.
 
Last edited:
If I were looking for higher powered Vintage High quality Amp/amps,
I would be buying the pair of restored Acrosound UL2's on USAM for $2,200 No Affiliation at all
Far better sounding amps than either the KT550, or even the HK Cit2. And I own one.
 
If I were looking for higher powered Vintage High quality Amp/amps,
I would be buying the pair of restored Acrosound UL2's on USAM for $2,200 No Affiliation at all
Far better sounding amps than either the KT550, or even the HK Cit2. And I own one.
I have a pair. They sound great. Can use 6550s on them too. I prefer my Lafayette La70 amps to them however. But those are rarer with bigger iron. The acrosound are currently in use thanks to Brice. Wild story on how I obtained them.
 
Funny - I think I bought those Acrosound amps.
I found this thread looking up information on Lafayette…
 
Don’t spend big money on the Kt550
Non engaging sound from it
Brice modded Acro’s oh hell yeah
 
Back
Top Bottom