Have a nice LT-725 tuner that i'm having a problem that has me stumped. Basically, the tuner receives FM well below about +/- 100MHz. above that the signal weakens quickly and stereo does not engage. It has a center/strength meter that appears to work well at lower frequencies. the tuning cap moves freely without physical abnormalities.
I have a Rohde and Schwarz SMG signal generator (similar to HP8657) and Sencore SG165 that can be used with the SMG to generate an MPX signal all through a balun to the tuner. I am able to inject the combined signal and monitor the output on a oscope. It generates a very clean 400Hz sine wave and the stereo light pops on when the dial is tuned to the RF level throughout the FM range. The meter strength and centering functions on the tuner respond well at low, mid and high frequencies with a threshold of ~ -65dBm at each frequency.
But when i swap this setup for a simple 300 ohm antenna i run into problems. stereo stations are picked up to about 97MHz but not above and the centering/strength meter tapers to off quickly at about 100MHz and i receive no stations above this level.
I have traced the LO 10.7MHz signal as far as the output of IC-102 but can see how the IF would discriminate between low and high RF's. Just can't understand what would account for this discrepancy between the SMG/SG165 inout and an regular FM signal. I haven't tried to adjust anything in the RF section as there isn't a service manual anywhere that i know of. thought someone here smarter than I might recognize this problem. I have a lot more info but trying to be focused...thanks
I've attached shots of the RF/IF.
I have a Rohde and Schwarz SMG signal generator (similar to HP8657) and Sencore SG165 that can be used with the SMG to generate an MPX signal all through a balun to the tuner. I am able to inject the combined signal and monitor the output on a oscope. It generates a very clean 400Hz sine wave and the stereo light pops on when the dial is tuned to the RF level throughout the FM range. The meter strength and centering functions on the tuner respond well at low, mid and high frequencies with a threshold of ~ -65dBm at each frequency.
But when i swap this setup for a simple 300 ohm antenna i run into problems. stereo stations are picked up to about 97MHz but not above and the centering/strength meter tapers to off quickly at about 100MHz and i receive no stations above this level.
I have traced the LO 10.7MHz signal as far as the output of IC-102 but can see how the IF would discriminate between low and high RF's. Just can't understand what would account for this discrepancy between the SMG/SG165 inout and an regular FM signal. I haven't tried to adjust anything in the RF section as there isn't a service manual anywhere that i know of. thought someone here smarter than I might recognize this problem. I have a lot more info but trying to be focused...thanks
I've attached shots of the RF/IF.