• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Large Advent iussue

Spellbinder

My Spine Is The Bassline
I've got a pair of original Large Advents, utility cabinets. There's an issue with one of the woofers. I get a crackling sound. It appears fine, visually. So I don't know what the issue is. At very Low volume and vocals are fine. When ever bass of any kind is present, the crackling sound starts.

Ideas? Or is this something that really needs to be diagnosed in person?
 
Register to hide this ad
maybe the coil is rubbing. Did you refoam them?
I would switch the bad one to the other enclosure, if it still does it that eliminates everything but the woofer itself.
 
You're saying it DOES happen at lower volumes? Did it just suddenly start doing this, or has it been gradually getting worse over time? Does it get worse with more volume?

I've had all sorts of issues fool me into thinking something was wrong with my speakers... everything from dirty pots, to glitches in my digital source gear, to vibrating plastic bags halfway across the room, so make sure it's a speaker-issue and not something else causing it. Just something to keep in mind.

You tried switching sources/source-material? For example, if you're using a receiver, try the FM, tape, etc. sources and make sure you get the same results. Anything to narrow it down. Have you made any recent changes to your system?
 
@ Gang-Twanger
No. At very low volumes, it's fine. If it's spoken word or just vocals, it's fine. When bass of any kind starts (music or otherwise), so does the crackle. I've tried AUX (computer), CD, Tape and Phono on two different receivers. The speakers were refoamed when I got them about 5 months ago.


...I would switch the bad one to the other enclosure, if it still does it that eliminates everything but the woofer itself.
Hmmm. Never thought of that. Might try that this this coming weekend.
 
Is the bass turned up by chance? On my Advent's, when I had the EQ set with more bass, they would pop. Once set normal, they were fine.
 
Is the bass turned up by chance? On my Advent's, when I had the EQ set with more bass, they would pop. Once set normal, they were fine.
No such luck.



I may end up selling these as I don't have the time or extra cash to diagnose/fix.

Appreciate the input, though everyone.
 
sounds like maybe some voice coil misalignment when it was refoamed.

for giggles, try taking the offending woofer out, rotate it 180 degrees, and try it again
 
Back
Top Bottom