• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Large Advent or Klipsch 4.2?

I wholeheartedly vote for "none of the above."

The 501s are boomy and amusical. The Klipsch are bright and boomy. The ARs are warm and old. Speakers have come a long way. So many options, some are hard to find, some are easier. The Canadians are usually a good value. I'm a bit partial to Energy in that case with PSB and Mirage in play. Paradigm is solid as well. It's a start.

The AR58S I posted earlier in this thread may be old but they're anything but warm, quite detailed without being harsh as many newer speakers are being voiced for video.
 
I think 501s and Large Advents competed in the same market niche back in the day. I actually liked the 501 sound better but they are both good. IMO it will be hard to do better than the Bose and Advent without going a lot higher in price. I am an EPI bigot so take this with a grain of salt, but I think the very common EPI 90s and 100s or the rarer 110s and (especially) 120s will blow either of those speakers away and actually be cheaper.
 
I found my long gone 501 to be a very poor speaker (distortion) and my OLA -THE ADVENT LOUDSPEAKER, to be better but not good enough (base bloom) for entertainment.

Try the Fisher Xp7b, just the Xp7b. It's the one for old acoustic bookshelf speakers. Or Klipsch Cornwall for large.

Skip these common and good speakers-
Dynaco
Bozak Tempo
Realistic Optimums and Nova 5 and 8
AR3.
 
Back
Top Bottom