• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Large Advent vs The Smaller Advent

mikeski

I need input
Hi All, I picked up a pair of The Smaller Advent speakers. I replaced the surrounds and hooked them up. I must say that so far I am impressed. I like them better then my AR-2AX's.

How do they compare to the Large Advents? I have the opp to pick up a nice pair of original version with the nice trim and veneer. Are they going to provide that much more?

Maybe I should pick them up and sell the AR-2AX's??? That does not free up a spot though. Hmmmm. Maybe sell The Smaller Advents also. That will leave a slot to try something else. Or just be happy with the Smaller Advents, sell the AR-2AX and find something new to try?? Maybe I need to replace the caps and lpads in the AR's cause I know they are original and the lpands were bypassed by the po? My head hurts.

mikeski
 
Register to hide this ad
I have had both Large and Smaller Advents. I liked the Smaller alot, but moved them out as I like the Large better. I did not recap the SA's but hear that it helps alot. I did recap the Large ones. I have not heard the AR's so I really cannot compare those to the Advents.
 
Smaller Advent owner here also. I think it depends on how much room you want/have and listening preference. I'm sure the Larger Advents are more full, from what I've read. If the SA's sound better than the AR's then the LA's are sure to outperform.

I'm still amazed, with no recap on mine, the clear low bass these SA's produce, EVEN at low volume!
 
The small and large Advent were designed to sound the same. The small won't play quite as loud as the large and the small is slightly less efficient. Either Advent has deeper bass than the AR-2AX and a more extended top end.
 
I prefer the smaller Advent. It seems to me a little smoother in the mids. Gerat speaker in my opinion.
 
I have been switching between the Smaller Advents and a pair of Klipsch KG4's. You definitely notice the load difference when you switch between them. I think the sound stage of the KG4's is bigger. But the bass extension is better and the sound is tighter with the SA's.

To bad they are coated in vinyl. I have seen others here stripping off the vinyl and then installing veneer. Lotsa work there.

mikeski

I have been moving the KG4's around a bit trying to find the spot. Still looking.
 
I prefer the smaller Advent. It seems to me a little smoother in the mids. Gerat speaker in my opinion.

never heard a OLA, but I love my smaller advents...real giant killers....can't imagine them not being loud enough for some...even on my little 2230, they can get loud enough with the volume control less than 1/2 way up to give me a headache...

IIRC Zilch found the grilles are an integral and necessary part of the SA's to avoid a dip & then bump in response around the 2000hz range....
 
The Smaller Advent was designed sort of as an exercise in Hoffman's Iron Law, which states that you can satisfy 2 of 3 goals in a speaker -- deep bass, efficiency, and small size. The Smaller Advent was supposed to sound just like the Large Advent, but give up efficiency in exchange for smaller size (mostly by adding mass to the woofer, which lowers the woofer's fs, which is then raised by the smaller enclosure to give the same system resonance point.
Of course they don't sound the same -- close, but not the same, perhaps because the smaller enclosure panels have different resonances or because the larger wadded toilet paper dustcap radiates midrange differently, or the drivers being closer to each other. I believe also some people have argued that the woofer has more doppler distortion.
My impression is that a suprising number of people prefer the Smaller Advent, but the taste is by no means universal, as we have seen from previous posts.
(Oh - by the way, Hoffman was the H of KLH before Advent)
 
in my audio journey. i have gone from big and cheap, speakers to decient somewhat better speakers to Large Advents 5012w.
i have them refoamed, recapped and in fantastic shape.
at first i was impressed. but found them to be somewhat harsh.
but i dont feel the same way anymore. the harshness is gone now and they have a more mellow attack.

im now wanting more volume out of a speaker.. loudness is not important to me. i am always listening at low loudness anyhow.
i want speakers that fill the room with sound. even at a low volume level..
the advents have a nice voice, but dont fill the room like i want.

if i had the option to get the small advents, i think i would pass.
i find it hard to belive that a smaller woofer could do a better job of filling a room with sound.
 
Last edited:
I'm the new owner of some Large Advents. I kind of understand what the crossover switch is for (I'm an unapologetic non-techie) but can somebody tell me basically when and how to use the switch? Is it personal judgment about what sounds best and varies from recording to recording or room to room etc.?

Sorry, I realize this is a very basic question, but I couldn't find a speakers-for-dummies answer in the Advent brochures.
 
Use the switch in the position you think sounds best. Any other answer is irrelevant.

BTW: Although you could change the switch setting for every song. That's kind of obsessive. I would try both positions and leave them in the position that sounds best to me. However, I'm extremely lazy. Once I get in the sweet spot I don't want to move.

Wirelessly controlled music servers surely were invented for lazy people such as myself.

If you don't have them on stands you should get some very soon. If you don't want to spend any money, try a couple of cinder blocks under them. OLA's are very nice speakers and deserve a little care setting them up. TMOT, they sound better on stands and away from the corners.
 
Last edited:
True laziness rejects even the wireless control -- even deciding what button to push is too much work. Initially everyone wants the maximum amount of control, but I believe that eventually quite a few people stop worrying about every little thing and just listen to the musics, tiny wart and all.
So set it how it sounds best, and sit back.
 
Use the switch in the position you think sounds best. Any other answer is irrelevant.

BTW: Although you could change the switch setting for every song. That's kind of obsessive. I would try both positions and leave them in the position that sounds best to me. However, I'm extremely lazy. Once I get in the sweet spot I don't want to move.

Wirelessly controlled music servers surely were invented for lazy people such as myself.

If you don't have them on stands you should get some very soon. If you don't want to spend any money, try a couple of cinder blocks under them. OLA's are very nice speakers and deserve a little care setting them up. TMOT, they sound better on stands and away from the corners.

I've got them on little side tables from Target. Gets them up off the floor about 2 feet, I guess. They are in corners but I'm not sure there's much I can do about that (without raising the girlfriend's ire).

Generally I find I like the decrease (middle) position. I find I like less bright sounding reproduction, but maybe it's because the floors are hard (tile, mostly, with a rug).
 
I want to say the ideal rise for them is a little under a foot off the floor. But, play with that until you get the height that sounds best to you.
 
I want to say the ideal rise for them is a little under a foot off the floor. But, play with that until you get the height that sounds best to you.

Okay. Was wondering about that. I was trying for the tweeter about ear-level where I usually sit, but I'll experiment a little. I've got some old thick books I could put them on too, and that might free up the tables to put some components on (I just scored a Nak 680ZX).
 
have mine about 2 1/2 feet off the ground and laying on their sides.
i have very little room for positioning.. this is as close to ear level as i can get them.
 
Hi All, I picked up a pair of The Smaller Advent speakers. I replaced the surrounds and hooked them up. I must say that so far I am impressed. I like them better then my AR-2AX's.

How do they compare to the Large Advents? I have the opp to pick up a nice pair of original version with the nice trim and veneer. Are they going to provide that much more?

Maybe I should pick them up and sell the AR-2AX's??? That does not free up a spot though. Hmmmm. Maybe sell The Smaller Advents also. That will leave a slot to try something else. Or just be happy with the Smaller Advents, sell the AR-2AX and find something new to try?? Maybe I need to replace the caps and lpads in the AR's cause I know they are original and the lpands were bypassed by the po? My head hurts.

mikeski

I have the SA's and 5012/W Advents (late version LA's) In a side by side shootout using a yamaha CR-2020, I found little difference between the two. Both were recapped and had new surrounds.

I use the SA in the upstairs office, and the 5012's are rotated thru the Mancave downstairs with my other speakers.
 
The Smaller Advent has proven itself most worthy around here. I now own 3 pairs and they have displaced Dynaco A-25, AR4x and even my AR5s. They are indeed "giant killers", just be aware that they are 4 ohm speakers so watch out if you are using more than one pair at a time since some amps don't like 2 ohm loads.
 
If you already know that you like the Smaller Advents more than the ARs and you don't need two pairs of speakers, then it's a no-brainer. Sell the ARs, get the Large Advents and compare them to the Smaller Advents. Just keep whichever is best. If you are canny with your buying and selling prices, then you won't lose a thing, and will gain personal experience.
 
my OLAs sit (upright) about 15" off a carpeted floor on some cheap stands and man, the bass is ASTOUNDING.

a quick advent-related question, if i may: i have a pair of advent /1 as well (also very bassy and about the same height off the floor) and i've heard/read some people refer to them as 'new large advents', while others speak of NLAs as something else entirely. can someone clarify for me exactly what are 'new large advents'?

thanks...
 
Back
Top Bottom