• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Latest restore - AU-5500

Hyperion

Roobarb & Custard
Subscriber
Here it is finished - minus case side-cheeks (sitting atop my AU-D11 II)

IMG_3408a.jpg


And the body count.
IMG_3406a.jpg

Sounds very nice now. ;)

The sharp eyed amongst you will notice no speaker relay in the body count picture, that is because the existing one was in very good shape, and had been changed fairly recently, I cleaned the contacts and it was good to go. ;)
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Here it is finished (sitting atop my AU-D11 II)

View attachment 2198431

And the body count.
View attachment 2198432

Sounds very nice now. ;)

The sharp eyed amongst you will notice no speaker relay in the body count picture, that is because the existing one was in very good shape, and had been changed fairly recently, I cleaned the contacts and it was good to go. ;)
Did you perform an upgrade on the power supply capacitors, main and / or regulated? Or did you keep the original values.
 
Did you perform an upgrade on the power supply capacitors, main and / or regulated? Or did you keep the original values.
Significant value increases for both e.g. main filter capacitors = 2 x 4,700µF - now 2 x 8,200µF - much of the reason for that particular upgrade was so the the replacements fitted the existing capacitor clamps. ;) (Worth noting that the originals had crept up to 5,400µF & 6004µF and the replacements, were around 7,800µF as measured).
 
Last edited:
Wow, were all those transistors bad?
The two 2SC1124's were OK, but they are 'Uniwatt' style transistors several types of which age rather badly - I replaced them with 2SC4793's. All the smaller ones you can see were 2SA726 and 2SC1313, (troublemakers) and two 2SC1364, one used as a series regulator in a capacitance multiplier, and the other was the relay driver transistor, neither was actually faulty, but both were tired.

I think your AU-6600 will have a similar number of the above if it's anything like the one I did. ;)
 
Yes it does! - spot on with the AU-5900, and the front panel attached boards were very similar to an AU-505 I recently restored. ;)
John, I bet it was a joy to work on!
My AU-7900 was so easy-only issue was the rear area around the ac outlets and speaker conns, where the wiring kind of tethers things together.
How was the workmanship inside that amp?
Inside, mine it was excellent.
 
No more Frankenphotos.. No more long distance relationships. The TU-5500 and AU-5500 are together at last and they make a lovely couple.

My son loves the classic timeless design. The gnurled stainless steel knobs, the tactile perfectly weighted switch gear,. It's a thing of beauty and a joy to use. I didn't expect too much, not being a TOTL amp. I thought it would be very good but its fantastic, a vast improvement. It's probably as good as could be achieved through a pair of Q Acoustics 3020i speakers. I think the rated 32 watts/channel into 8 ohms is VERY conservative. These are a 6 ohm speaker and in a bedroom they were getting loud at 1/4 volume. Perfect for a teenager with an appreciation of style. He's rocking it with a little Sansui FR-D25 turntable we fixed up together. Hopefully the amp is good to go for another 47 years.

Another triumph John. My son loves it. Thanks


AU5500.jpg
Teen Sansui.jpg
 
Congratulations sansui au719, those look fantastic together.

I think that era is my fave cosmetically: the silver knobs on black make all settings clearly visible from across the room, and I prefer the black tuner background to the white one that followed.

I also fell victim to some ineffective cooling by putting a tuner on top of an amplifer, although it was a Pioneer. Those Sansui's with the heat sinks extending out the back are *better* as it clears the tuner: but having it raised above surely improves airflow.

Funny how that is the common placement though?
 
Back
Top Bottom